12 month old sleep issues?

My son will be 12 months on Saturday and just yesterday he pretty much switched himself from bottle to sippy cup and learned to walk. I usually have an easy sleeper when he wakes to eat. He eats and usally goes right back to sleep. I don't know if he is having issues b/c he has switched from bottle to sippy or not when it comes to his sleeping issues. He has to be rocked now and sometimes when we lay him down my dh and I he stands right back up and crys really hard like he is afraid we are gonna leave him? Any ideas on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that it is hard but you gotta leave him, also give him a half cup of water in his crib that way he can have that as a distraction. My DD did that and we had to let her cry.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Separation anxiety combined with new milestones. Totally normal. Just give him the comfort he needs and it'll pass with time. Do not just leave him to cry, that will only prolong the phase.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• he's still just a baby. and if he wants to be comforted, that's important that he knows he can count on Mommy & Daddy to be there when he needs them.
    does he have a regular bedtime routine? to help him wind down and prepare for bedtime?

I would try to go in and comfort him for a few minutes---maybe hold him and cuddle him. and then lay him back down and leave the room. and repeat this every 5-10mins or so. if it's still not working after 20-30mins, bring him out of his room and try to comfort him. maybe rock him until he's almost asleep then put him down.

my son is usually a great sleeper, and he knows when bedtime is and will usually either go right to sleep or talk to himself for a little bit and drift off to sleep. but sometimes he'll fight it if he's overly tired and we use the above method to help him get to sleep.

good luck Momma, I'm sure it's just a stage. my son has gone through MANY in his 13mos!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2009