Night terrors?

My toddler's been waking up a lot at night lately, and last night was the worst.
He woke up screaming in either pain or fear (although we had given him some Tylenol just an hour before) and could not be consoled. He was thrashing around, screaming and fighting us, and he even threw his milk which usually helps calm him when he's upset.
The only thing that helped was turning on the lights. But he was still too upset to be put down and we had to watch part of a VeggieTales and cuddle for awhile before he was calm enough to go back to bed.

Some of my friends say it sounds like a night terror. It's awfully hard to tell though with a 18-month-old who can't tell me what's wrong!
He's also been crabby during the day and not eating well so I thought he was teething.

I'm just wondering what could be going on!

Dove14

Asked by Dove14 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be a night terror but if he is awake that is unlikely. I would call and ask a doctor that way you can put your mind at ease. I am sorry this is happening good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My son did this 2 times around that age. He WAS awake though which is the difference I guess when looking to see if your child has night terrors - night terrors they are not awake. I still have no idea what caused those fits that sound identical but it lasted a total of 45 minutes each time - I was going to video record the next one but luckily, it never happened. I Know my son has always been VERY affected by teething pain, more than any other child I've heard about, I can only guess that it was his molars coming in when these fits were happening, of course, I can't be sure but he was rolling around on the ground, unconsolable screaming "help mommy" it was devistating.. I would try to hold him and cuddle him and he just kept screaming and fighting me and my husband.. all we could do was be his shields so he didn't hurt himself through his fights. It was terrible.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2009