My thumb sucker (well not his thumb but his middle finger)

I need some help with my dear stubborn son (age 5). He is a thumb sucker (well in all honesty he sucks his middle finger not his thumb) and I am just not sure what to do to get him to stop. I have tried reminding him constantly to remove the finger, I have tried using vinegar over the finger, I have tried punishing him with a time out, and I have tried talking to him which failed worse than the others because when I explained to him that sucking his finger was things for babies and little boys but he then states that he is a little boy or baby. Then my husband says then he must want a bottle and my son gets all excited and says yes. What am I to do, he has left marks on his finger and his teeth are starting to move outward. I am worried he may need braces if this continues. Any suggestions would be great!

Taylor82

Asked by Taylor82 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nothing has worked for our 5 year old girl either so we figure instead of giving her a complex about it we're going to leave her alone and hope that she'll stop on her own when she's ready.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• try getting the stuff for stopping nail bitting. It is a clear nail polish that tastes really bad.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Try pretending he has a booboo on that finger, bandage it all up and redo it for several days. My dd was a thumb sucker, she smashed her sucking thumb in a door, it wasn't broken but the dr gave her a finger brace to wear for a few days, I used it for about a week every night at bedtime, told her the dr said she needed to wear it alittle longer! After the week or so of wearing it, she no longer sucked her thumb! So maybe try something like that, not actually hurting his finger, but maybe say his finger nail is hurt or there is a small booboo on there and you must keep it covered for days.....something like that....lol....GL
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We still have this problem with our 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter. The dentist has talked with them. We tried that thumb stuff that's supposed to make them stop, twice. Didn't work either time. We tried hot sauce, cyanne pepper, and even scraping their fingernails over soap. None of it worked. Now I have been smacking my daughters hand lightly, just enough to make her jump. Doesn't work either. The is a metal rod that can be fixed to their teeth that keeps them from getting the suction to the roof of their mouth that helps. I had a friend that had one put in her daughters mouth. She sucked her middle and ring fingers. It did work. You can try talking with the dentist about having it done.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We tried the bandaid thing, too. Nothing has worked:(
    Raine2001

• I have it, my DD sucked her thumb from the time she was 3 days old. The dentists use a rake. It sounds creepy but my DD has not sucked her thumb since she got the rake. I had the rake put in at the beginning of the year, took it out by summer and she has not sucked her thumb. It really works. Any questions email me I will explain it all.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009