Which religions don't go to doctors? and Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My grandfather was a Christian Scientist and he lived until he was 97! There is great truth to mind over matter and the faith we can use to heal ourselves. However, I do believe that God has given us physicians for some circumstances. Had it not been for some heavy duty medical care all three of my kids needed they would have died in infancy. So I am glad my grandmother didn't raise her kids as a Christian Scientist.
    luvjulie

Answer by luvjulie at 2:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I believe it's just the Christian Scientists. Christian Scientists do not believe in medical science, or what they call "materia medica." They generally do not accept medical care for themselves, and many do not permit it for their children. They believe they can heal through prayer.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Although I've heard of travelling families putting most trust in traditional medicines, for example, I only know of Christian Scientists as a recognised religious group who choose not to treat illness with 'orthodox' medicine (would they use herbal or homeopathic remedies? I don't know). If I'm correct they trust spiritual healing instead (healing through faith and prayer).

Interestingly, Jesus Christ said that “persons in health do not need a physician, but the ailing do.” (Matthew 9:12) And when Paul discussed Timothy’s “frequent cases of sickness,” he didn't recommend spiritual healing but offered a common medical treatment of that time (wine - 1 Timothy 5:23). The Bible’s view of medical treatment, in my opinion, conflicts with the teachings of Christian Science when it comes to avoiding ANY medical treatment.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 11:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I didn't know what was posted about Christian Scientists... so I learned something there. I would mention my knowledge of JW and how they don't accept blood transfusions but I think other medical operations and such are allowed... as far as I know. I am not JW but know several.

I would say, I personally believe in healing! I think when Christ said the healthy didn't need a physician, but rather those that were sick HE was referring to us needing HIM! Healing was the way of relief from many diseases and such! These same gifts and ministries of the Holy Spirit still function today in services. They are almost always going to be Spirit-filled services though! Check out Marvin Gorman and Foundation for Human Helps Ministry. He has a healing ministry. There are others as well... but I have actually attended some of his! God uses this man mightily in testimony of how awesome the Holy Spirit operates and heals still today!
    LoveWiseCouncel

Answer by LoveWiseCouncel at 2:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• If you will look up witchcraft and sorceries in the Greek dictionary of your Strong's Concordance I think you will be able to see what our Father thinks about modern medicines! Any "concoction" that man makes out of un-natural substances and has THAT MANY SIDE EFFECTS isn't of our LORD!!! HIS medicine of healing through faith and prayer and fasting is perfect and has NO side effects to make you ill with something else!
    Modern medications only cover that symptom and exploit other ones! Example... you take a pain pill for your back aches... the medication can shut down your kidneys, liver, and even cause colon cancer over time due to the chronic constipation and slowing down of the intestinal functions that would otherwise be active! You trade off one something for another something more times than not!
    Some of the medicines now... the list is endless with effects! And those are just the ones they HAVE to tell you about!
    LoveWiseCouncel

Answer by LoveWiseCouncel at 2:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

Sooo lemme make sure I'm getting this; penicillian & Tylenol & NyQuil & Orajel & Benedryl & Calamine Lotion & Zantac & PeptoBismol etc are all witches brew charmed straight from the devil's own cook book?
    Anonymous