perfect for grandparents but not so great with us.....

my dd recently stayed with my dad for a week..he lives 2 hours away but comes up constantly to see her, so she's comfortable with going to his house that long (so don't bash..rarely do i ever get a break)..anyway, my dad was telling me that she slept in her own bed all night long, only once did she fuss and she went right back to sleep, when he said it's time to go to bed she went right upstairs and got in bed...my dd is 18 mos old, and i can't so much as take two feet outside her room at night before bedtime...why is she so good for my dad (even when we're there and he's the one getting her down, she does it) and wont do anything to that nature for us?..how can i get her to fall asleep in her room on her own, and stay asleep? i've tried everything..i thought maybe it was her bed since she's restless at night, but she naps in it so i dont think it could be that..any advice, tips or anything is much appreciated!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is doing what is normal at her house and what she thinks is normal at his, so start transitioning her into doing it that way at your house as well. My DD also behaves better at the grandparents house, I think it is that the spend so much time with us what we want doesn't matter but they are trying to impress the grandparents because they don't see them as often.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My grandaughter is the same way. I can get her to do things that my DD can't. I just put it at experance. Us granparent have already done all this stuff before.

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My grandkids are better behaved all around for me, as opposed to their mom and dad. I think all kids are worse for their parents, I think because they feel safer with them, and can test the limits over and over and know that you still love them. Not that they dont' know their grandparents love them, but they are less likely to test us.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My kids were always completely different kids at daycare - they went right down for a nap, they stopped the bottle at 1 year! In my house we struggled with sleeping in your own bed and they both had a bottle until 2 1/2. I think they do what is expected of them. At daycare she put them down with confidence and walked away. She stopped giving them a bottle and that was that. She has a lot more experience than me and I think the kids can sense that. I think it's normal, but I have no idea how to get them to do these things at home.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:35 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yeah for grandparents. My mom and dad help out often and my oldest just loves them. I think she behaves better cause my parents may be more relaxed. (I am kinda hyper.) I am so thankful my kids have at least one set of grandparents that live close by. My husbands parents live in different states.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2009