what is the best way to start potty training a boy?

the best steps to get them to learn to potty train. What works and dont work

Trista26

Asked by Trista26 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First go to the store and have him pick out his favorite underwear-my boy loves the hulk!Then just have him wear them and you will have many accidents until they get on to the potty thing.I would make sure he goes to the bathroom every 2 hours and make sure they pee before they go to bed and limit drinks after 6:00.I would make a big deal and praise him every time he does go to the bathroom.My boy did have a few accidents at night until we got in a routine....hope this helps...
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• well my son is 3 and i just finally got him potty trained...well except for waking up at night and during naps to go pee. I just kept telling him he needed to be a big boy like his dad and brother. i'd take him in there when his dad or brother would go potty. And when they were done say YAY DADDY!! or YAY JEREMY and make a big deal outta it. So then my son would of want to apart of that and want ppl to praise him as well. Also maybe put something in the toilet to aim at...i don't do that and never have but ppl have told me that works. I started trying to potty train my son when he had turned 2, and he really didn't seem to care about going on the potty. so finally about 9 mths later he all of a sudden wants to start going and is doing a great job. Just give him time, he will eventually do it. Just keep pushing and working with it, i know sometimes its a hassell. BUT well worth not buying those dumb diapers....
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:10 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• oops sorry my son isn't 3, he is 2.....he will be 3 in May.... sorry about that. Also though what shannon said is a very good idea, my son loves wearing his favorite cartoons characters. GOOD LUCK
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:12 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Okay does he have any interest in it? I waited after trying and beating myself up...he turned 3 and we got it done in about 2 days! We played a game, I put Cheerios in the toilet and he tried to "shoot" them, he loved it! When he initiated the game, he got a couple of M&M's, it worked wonders! I never used a potty chair, just got him used to the regular toilet with a step stool. Honestly if you push it, it will cause both of you stress! Yes I know the wonder children who are potty trained by 18 months, but most of the time, I think that is Mom being trained to put them on the potty every 10 minutes, LOL! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Here is what we did:
    1. Bought a potty that sings when they go in it.
    2. Put the potty in the living room for a week or so so they get used to it (or whatever room you spend the most time in.
    3. During the day, take diaper & pants off all together.. let him go bottomless. When you see he starts to go, rush him to the potty.
    4. After a day or so, you will notice he starts going to the potty to go.
    5. After 3-4 weeks, start putting 'big boy' underwear on him. At first he won't understand, he will think it is a diaper.
    6. The first few times he goes in the underwear, let them stay on him for a minute or so, so he feels the cold, wet sensation & sees that it is uncomfortable.
    7. Always praise and make a huge deal when he goes in the potty!
    8. He will finally get to the point that he will go in the potty all the time! Just always keep the potty in the room you are in and always make a huge deal out of him going.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:27 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I second what previous posters said.

Pull ups did not work for my boys. They thought of it as a diaper and were lazy with convenience issues. Meaning if they were busy playing then they were not interested in peeing on the potty. If it inconvenienced them then they were not interested. I took away the pull ups and put them in "big boy" underwear. The first time they were outside playing and peed down their leg, it was game on. They HATED that feeling! From then on we did great potty training. I did find that all 3 of mine preferred different positions and none used the little potty. One learned to pee standing up, one sitting on a potty seat on the big potty and the other facing backwards on the toilet.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I never used pull ups w/ my boy. I put him in underwear and would put him on the potty every hour to an hour and a half. There were a few accidents, He caught on pretty quick. He hated to be wet. I also made a chart for him, every time he would go, we put a sticker up. He loved it. Good luck.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Here is what we did:
    1. Bought a potty chair it turns into a stool later.
    2. I did use pull ups but, only to get him used to pulling his own pants up and down. When I changed him I made sure he wasn't dirt and let him pull his pull up and pants up and down. We did this for a couple of weeks.
    3. I printed a couple of charts from www.parents-in-a-pickle.com. "I used the potty this many times" they had dozer's and trains. I got sticker to put on each time we go. I bought a bag of m&m let him know I do 5 for pee and 10 for poo.
    4. The first couple of day we went with nothing. Had a few issuse I let him help mop after I got it cleaned up. We didnt' make a big deal of it remined him to go when he needed to.
    5. I put him in underware after that. I started right after Thanksgiving he only had 4 accidents since.

The key was to not push with mine he did it when he was ready.
    Homealonex2

Answer by Homealonex2 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2009