Does anyone know-Can I make wooden NFL crafts and sell them or do you have to have a license to sell?

I recently made wooden Steeler snowmen for a craft show and started selling on ebay and was wanting to make signs to sell on ebay but do you have to have a license to sell-Im not selling very many things-I made Steeler ornaments and sold them on ebay for practically nothing but my husband was wondering if this is illegal?Does anyone else do this and know the answer??Thank you...

shannon2206

Asked by shannon2206 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• No you can't all items NFL related logos etc are copyrighted and owned by the NFL. They could sue you.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• It is illegal. The NFL protects their copyright issues pretty staunchly. I would not continue to do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't chance it either. It is illegal, and fines can be heavy. Can you use your talent to make original pieces? It's much better to draw on your own designs. Maybe sell on etsy?  That's a very popular site.

Good luck!  good

happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You can as long as you state right on your ebay auction that people are paying for your time and the wood itself and not the NFL image or whatever.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Actuay CuteandCurvy it's a misconception, you are NOT allowed to sell anything on ebay stating that it's your time they are purchasing, the full item itself HAS to be what the buyer is purchasing, not the time and labor involved. Such as coupons, many sellers state "You are paying for my time in clipping and finding these coupons, the coupons are free" is technicaly not allowed by ebay!

If you start a business whether at craft shows or on eBay yes you would need a DBA and a tax ID number if you live in a state with sales tax (and you earn more than $500-$600 a year)...however reproducing logos under copywrite, especially NFL logos is in fact illegal.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• FROM EBAY:

Items that bear a company's official brand name or logo can be listed as long as the products were made or officially endorsed by that company.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

viking95

Answer by viking95 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• And here is a whole thread on the subject on eBay.

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1000205018&tstart=5
    viking95

Answer by viking95 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Also read this.

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/TrademarkLaw/Disclaimers/TabberoneDisclaimer.shtml
    viking95

Answer by viking95 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010