God and Devil. Derivitives of the words Good and Evil?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sure... God is GOOD, Satan is EVIL
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I think it's an attempt to put human qualities onto natural phenomenon. We think we need to give it a name and attributes we can identify with.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• That is all conjecture Shan. You may look at it that way, but not everyone does. What is good or evil in your eyes is not necessarily the definition of good or evil in another's.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Sure, why not?! I guess some people need to label what they consider "evil" or bad...when in actuality it's simply in our human nature to be and act how we do.
    I think also, by such labels, it allows some people to point fingers and place blame where before there were none. AND this also allows people to be controlled by others who deem themselves "authoratative" on such matters.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Huh ... never noticed that; interesting point.

It is facinating, though - isn't it? - how invested people are in denying any spiritual reality.
    Blanket denial that there even IS such a thing as decisions or actions which are good / constructive / healthy OR evil / destructive / unwell ... this is really far-gone brainwashed, in my opinion. Moral relativism is a primary tool to dumb down the populace.

If we don't notice and aim for better / good / noble standards in ourselves and provide that example for our children, then we cultivate a lowest common denominator - a la "Lord of the Flies". So ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The etymology of the words "god" and "good" are both Germanic, but there is no relation.

Devil comes from an old english word "deofol" and is related to the latin and greek roots "diab" where we get the word "diabolical"

Evil is Scandinavian in origin.

Subscribe to the Oxford English Dictionary or visit the huge set at your local library. English spelling is a phenomenon no one can explain, but our word origins are fairly easy to prove thanks to King Alfred and his multi-century literary legacy.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Like Santa and Satan!!

Answer by rkoloms at 1:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• No, I don't think so. I can see why someone might ask the question as they look similar and have some shared meaning God is good. Devil is evil. But that's just a fluke of how the English language works that the spelling is close too.

God and Devil appear in all languages and date as far back as all written records and usually across languages old and new, I'd assume, God and Devil spellings look and sound quite different.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 2:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Did you hear about the dyslexic atheist? He believes there is no Dog.

Or about the dyslexic Devil worshipper? Her hope is in Santa.
    Anonymous

• I just find it interesting to get to God you have to take away from good, but to get to devil, you have to add to evil.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2009