How did you introduce whole milk? Gradually or all at once? And at what age?

Was it right at 12 months or did you give little bits before??? I really don't know how to go about it so please tell me what you did...Thanks alot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my son I started at 6 months he would not eat formula. He also started eating regular foods by 8 months. Loved scrambled eggs. My daughter is 8 months and has only tried a sip from my cup.
    Before starting whole milk you should talk to your dr just so you know what to do for your child
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I waited until they turned 1 year. Then I mixed 1/4 milk, 3/4 formula for a few days. Then 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days. Then 3/4 milk-1/4 formula. Use whole milk. The whole thing took less than a week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• at a year old as soon as her her last can of formula was done i just started giving her regular milk.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I did it really gradually with my 1st & 3rd because they were dairy intolerant as infants. I gave them small tastes of things with milk in it, then started mixing small amounts of cow's milk in with some breastmilk in a cup.

DD was eating cottage cheese at 9 months, so there was no allergy worry. She never took to cow's milk like the boys, who still love it. She'll occasionally drink some, but would rather eat dairy products. As long as she gets calcium, I'm not going to argue.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I started mixing small bits of milk in my son's formula at 11 months. When I started his last can of formula I started mixing it 75/25 with milk (3/4 formula, 1/4 milk) and then gradually increased the milk and decreased the formula so when that can was finished, he was on just milk.

Answer by missanc at 12:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• 12mts. al at once,. i get her a sippy of milk the days he turn one
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• With my son I started giving him two ounces in his bottle of formula when he was 10-11 months old. Then the next month gave him another ounce if he had no reactions. (which he didn't) then at 12 months I gave him a full bottle. He had no adverse reactions.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We started the switch at 10 months. I would put 1 ounce of milk, the rest formula, and I did that for a couple days, then I gradually added more and more every other day. I wanted to make sure my dd'd tummy could handle it. she was a sensitive baby so it was easier for us to take it slow. she was completely on milk within two weeks.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• At 10 months I added 2 oz of whole milk in with the rest of the bottle full of formula. By 12 months we ditched the formula and was on nothing but whole milk. (gradually worked out the formula so it wasn't so bad...) By 13 months got rid of all bottles and now it's just sippy cups of whole milk. It's hard but worth it. Good luck!!!
    bepps_14

Answer by bepps_14 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• We didn't. We introduced a sippy cup with water at around 9 months; my daughter self-weaned at 23 months and was drinking water regularly by then. Ccow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 1:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2009