Why is it that teenagers never want to stay home,or if they do stayhome always haveto have a friend over?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• because having a friend over to see your cool stuff is fun. going to their house to see their cool stuff is fun. but each sitting at their own house alone, with no one to show things to...not so much fun. lol
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Not all teens are that way. I was, but my daughter is not. Maybe it has to do with her being homeschooled, maybe not. She prefers to hang out with us, rather than hanging at the mall. She does things with other homeschooled teens, but her free time is usually spent here.
    Anonymous

• Because they are social creatures finding their way in life. Mom and Dad are not cool when you are a teen and it is best not to be seen with them. And besides, parents will always be there and will always love them so why do they need to spend time with us.......LOL!?!?!?!
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Both my Dh and I wish we could get my son to make some friends. He honestly could careless about kids his age. He does have one boy he talks to, my BFF's son, but I don't see her that often for them to really hang out on a regular basis. They live about an hour away.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i agree with Dyndudes...that and if they're anything like i was, i was a social and active person. being at home sucked majorly, it was boring cuz there was nothing to do there that i hadn't already done. at least going to someone elses house there was always something different to do.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• It means you should do more things together. You need to have one on one time with the teens, this is when they do need their parents.
    Thank god my kids never did that.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I figure it's probably a natural/normal thing- I mean in a couple/few years they will (probably) move out and I see it as a way for them to start sort of breaking away if you know what I mean
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• It's natural -- at the age of 12 or so, teens attempt to find their place in the world and assert an identity that is not wrapped up in their parents. They start to become hypersocial creatures, who surround themselves with friends and create their own social networks, independent of mom and dad. It's part of preparing to "leave the nest."

Accept this as normal. I've seen way too many parents fight against this and their teenagers grew into adults with problems.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 2:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have the same thing with my 16 yo dd. She goes through stages. Some times she is never here and if she is her friends are too. Which I love! I have no problem when her friends are here, the eat me out of house and home, but I would have it no other way. Other times she is always gone, that I don't like so much. I get it, just don't like it. I figure in a couple of years she'll be gone to college and then who knows when I'll see her. But, I agree with the other moms, I think it is just normal. If they are not together at each others houses they are on line or texting. It is just the age, and it is true, parents are not cool!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• They want to explore the world and see what i has to offer. If they have to stay home they want to share their world with a fellow compatriot and enjoy the adventure even if it's just in the confines of their home.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2009