When did your baby move up to 4oz of formula?

I'm in the middle of getting with my new pediatrician sooo...just checkin' with some of u moms until i get that finished up.. my daugther will be 2weeks tomorrow, and i'm just not sure..1st baby.. i'm sure i'll be asking loads of questions here and there lol but yah..i've been feeding her 3oz because she seems hungry for it plus i want her to have all the food she wants because we had to spend a couple extra days in the hospital because her bilirubin level was 19....very high for a newborn!

burr_and_e

Asked by burr_and_e at 12:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at around a month my son started going farther between meals (about 3-4hrs) & that's when he started eating 4oz. Try giving three like you normally do, then offer another ounce (don't make the whole 4oz right off the bat in case she fills up, you don't wanna waste).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• about 1wk my son was at 4oz every 2hours. but he was a big baby (10 5 22) at about 2 weeks my dd was at 4oz every 21/2-3hrs. she wasn't as big lol
    Anonymous

• 4oz is a LOT for a newborn. They should be eating small amounts really frequently. 19 is high... but not life-threateningly so. Under 20 is fine the first week, under 25 in the second. I know doctors like to freak out when it gets above 15 or 16.

Anyway... stick to what you're doing, I wouldn't want to offer more than 3oz for the first several months, at least. Feed frequently.

Is there any reason you aren't nursing? I never had to worry about how much to feed... it makes things much easier on that end! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• About 2 weeks old.
    AshMomToShawn

Answer by AshMomToShawn at 1:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My son was taking 4oz right out of the womb. I was nursing, but had to bottle feed at times because he wouldn't latch. And he would take 4oz at a week old. My daughter didnt' take 4oz till she was a month old. My son was a pig, daughter was NOT lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My son was up to 8oz of formula by 6 weeks lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• yah i think 4oz will be good for her, and 19 was very high for a newborn! at 24 it starts causing neurological problems! they like it to be under 10! I figure if she seems like shes starving..then i should feed her, i just wanted to make sure it was normal for a 2 week old. she eats ever 3-4 hours now instead of every 2-3. so it makes since mathmatically to feed more lol we are still suppose to be waking her thru the night to feed, due to the jaundice crap..UGH can't wait to get back to her doctor and see where we're at. THANK GOD that we only had to use the light a couple nights!
    burr_and_e

Answer by burr_and_e at 1:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My son drank 4 oz's from day one. My daughter started out at 1 oz, then 2, then 3, she is now two months old (today) and drinks 4-6 oz's of formula in a feeding.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2009