How to de-clutter a townhouse apartment? Any Ideas?

We live in a 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath townhouse apartment. We have a 6 year old son, and a 15 month old daughter. Our living room has turned into a toy room! And I have a lot of pictures that I love.... but when I start to hang them up, I feel like I want them all up, but I don't want to look like a "clutter bug". How can I modernize my apartment, and make it look like it's not a daycare, but still have my daughters toys where she can get to them, and still be able to decorate without it looking like I have too much stuff? We are on a tight budget, and the only thing I have done so far is buy a "9 cube storage cabinet". And we still have toys that are too big to fit in storage bins. And the baby still sleeps in our room, so I don't want my bedroom turned into a play room.... nor do I have space in there. PLEASE HELP!

shyne4584

Asked by shyne4584 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo and I have the same problem. My main thing this week is to declutter my house- one room at a time. A few months ago, my husband got tired of having toys all over our living room floor, so we designated a place just for our son's toys in the living room. He has a small corner that has a book shelf with books, his fish and frogs, and the bottom shelf has his big toy trucks. He also has a soft chair to sit in and read. Next to his chair is a bug bucket of toys. He can play in the middle of the livingroom with his toys as long as he picks them up after he is finished. He also has about 20 games that we keep in a cabinet in the entertainment center. He is only allowed to have 1 game out at a time. So far, this is working. Now, we are working on the rest of the house and implementing those rules too.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• could you desinate a place where your daughter can only play with her toys only at? like your mother's house or your closest friends house? (we had bikes and snowmobiles and fourwheelers only we could play with when at MIL's). if not, could you buy locks to lock up certain toys to trees or whatever you can outside?

i think i would go through whatever you can (toys, storage clutter) and put outside for a price or free.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have those same problems too... I live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment. For christmas we got my son a new toy box for his room and also got a wooden bench that has a compartment that opens up for the living room toys. That way it is a toy box but it doesn't look like one. I also have baskets that I put my son's small toys in, so they don't get lost down in the toy box. I also have lots of baskets every where else to help organize.
    But I am the worlds worst for sticking things in the closet and forgetting about them... I really need some tips for closet organization...lol
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You'll find that if you go thru the toys that there's really only about 25% of them that the kids actually play with. Keep these and either sell or donate the rest. You have to go into it with an open mind though because there are many toys that I think are great but the kids just don't like so I had to get rid of what I liked! :)

Next decide which pictures you truely like. Don't try hanging 50 photos up or it will get cluttered. If you really want to display all of them then invest in one of the picture frames that you can down load all the photos on and let it cycle thru. I love mine! One frame and 500+ photos so far on it.

You mention the kids toys now what about your own? Do you have lots of nick nacks? Perhaps you could pack some away or give them away as well. Once you declutter things you'll actually start to enjoy things more. It means much less work dusting!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2009