Is it rude to specify what gifts to bring for birthday?

My son's 4th birthday is in a couple weeks and this is the first year we will have more than family over for a party. He already got a ton of toys for christmas and he shares a small room with his brother. Would it be rude for me to say something like "David has lots of toys, but would appreciate books or CDs" on the invite... or maybe someone can word it better?

LeanneC

Asked by LeanneC at 1:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it'd be more appropraite to say no gifts, then to specify. But it's also ok to say he has lots of toys, small gifts or books/cds appreciated
    Anonymous

• I agree, you can specify that he wants "books for his library" or something to that extent. Some people probably find it rude, but if you're close like my family/friends no one cares, they would rather get him something that he wants/needs anyhow!!
    Anonymous

• I always call and ask the mom what they want'/need,,,,,I wouldn't put anything specific in the invite! I guess you could say no gifts, but that kind of takes the fun out of a little kid's birthday!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I think it would be fine! a lot of times people don't know what to get anyway and books are in all kinds of price ranges ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I don't think it's rude at all. However, some will think it is. You can't please everyone! I would put it on the invite.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Sounds good to me...if someone gets offended at that simple request they need to chill.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Maybe "Your presence is gift enough, but if you'd like to bring something, books or CD's are appreciated" ? lol... corny? I hate writing invites. Thanks everyone.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My friend had cute poem in her baby shower invite, requesting books. Maybe you can find something like that online and include it with the invite? I thought it was a nice idea and didn't find it rude at all. I personally like when the parents give added info regarding gifts, sizes, favorite characters, etc. No one would think anything of it if you put what size clothes he wears, so they shouldn't have a problem with just saying he has plenty of toys but books, clothes, etc are appreciated. Or, just return them after the party and get what he needs.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• most people like suggestions, put clothes sizes, book suggestions etc all at the bottom of invite under his favorite things
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• "If you decide to bring gifts, please do not bring toys." Then suggest other alternatives.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2009