Cool Mist Humidifier for Cold/Congestion???

I purchased a cool mist humidifier but now I am second guessing if I should have gotten a DeHumidifier...my son is towards the end of a cold, and now its settling more in the back of the nose/throat and creating a cough...should i be trying to DRY this up, or would a cool mist humidifier help him. Im afraid it will just add to the congestion with all of the moisture???

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also he is 9 months old and I have been using an aspirator, but is there anything else I could be doing?
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The doc told me to get a humidifier for my children's cold. I think it's a good idea. I don't think he wanted it to be dry though. He said its best if it is wet and loose so that all of it can get out. You can also turn on the hot shower and let the room fill up with steam. Cup your hand and pat his back to loosen it up and get him to cough it out. (I'm also a caregiver who does respiratory therapy)
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• okay great, that makes sense.I just second guessed myself. Is using filtered fridge water alright or do I need distilled?
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I just use tap water. Its all the same thing IMO. And a humidifier is definitely way better than a dehumidifier. You're doing the right thing! =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2009