My 3 year old sucks his thumb. I have tried everything from hot sauce to rubbing peppers on it, nothing seems to work.

mom1985186

Asked by mom1985186 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I personally think that putting hot sauce on it and pepper is actually the wrong way to do it. I think that is just down right mean. I think you should let him do it on his own time. My daughter has a binki until she was 3, and i tried to take it away a few times and all it would do is cause screaming and yellling. And eventually before she was 4 she got rid of it. I'm afraid if you do something like that it may result to security problems, bc i'm sure he sucks his thumb bc it makes him feel secure. I know its not good on their teeth and future teeth but still i think what your doing is kinda mean. I'd try just telling the child that big boys and big girls dont' suck their thumb. Just give him time.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 1:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Trust me, trust me, trust me, he will do it when (and if) he is ready. That is the ONLY way it will happen. I know it may not be what you want to hear, but it is the truth. I sucked my thumb until I was 12, the only reason I stopped is because I had braces and they told me I couldn't get them off if I kept doing it. So I stopped. My parents tried EVERYTHING growing up, and I would just wash my hands, or suck off the hot sauce or whatever other nasty thing they put on there, nothing worked until I was ready to stop.
    Anonymous

• You might talk to your dentist, when I was an asst. we put an applicance on called a hay rake, when the child would stick their thumb in their mouth to suck it, these three little prongs were in the way that prevented it plus it poked their fingers. I think three is a little young for one though but you might ask.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• he is using his thumb to sooth himself, don't make a big deal he will outgrow it
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I feel your pain but .... well I've had to just let it be. I did aloe cape powder - tastes horrible and it still did not work for us.
    At least according to her teachers she's not doing it at school (she's 41/2 in Pre-K) aand I'm trying to get it so its only for bed but....
    Good luck.
    Just know there are others who feel your pain.

'Binky's" are SOOOOoooooo much easier.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Just leave him alone. The more attention you give to it, the more he will suck his thumb. LIke another poster said, he will stop when he is ready. I was 12 when I stopped sucking my thumb and I stopped when I got braces and cut my thumb open from the brackets. I have NEVER seen a high schooler sucking their thumbs while getting their diploma.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You put hot sauce on a 3 year old's thumb?? What the hell is wrong with you? He'll stop when he's ready. Jesus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009