What is so wrong with being left handed?

My daughter has been showing signs since day 1, that she is going to be a leftie. My brother is left handed also. My in-laws will see her using her fork or spoon with her left hand or playing her little piano and say "No, use your other hand!" I have told them SEVERAL TIMES to stop that and she will use whichever hand is NATURAL to her, but then they'll do it again right in front of me. It's to the point that I don't want them to have her over night anymore, because if they'll do it in front of me, I'm SURE they're doing it behind my back. They like to take her to church on Sat. mornings, so she sleeps over many Fri, nights. They are not doing me a favor. I am home on fri. nights anyway . . missing her. Does anyone else's in laws do this? On Christmas, they also offered me juice to give her---UMMMM, they know I dont'give her juice . . . they must be doing that too when I'm not around.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• My mom is a Leftie and is convinced that she is superior to everyone because of it. She's a weirdo. Well, she used to try to make little brother left handed when he was a baby bc she wanted one of her kids to be left handed soooo much. He's a rightie.

I'm worried about the opposite happening when our baby is born. I'm worried that my mom will try to enforce left-handedness.

Some grandparents chose to warp their grand kids with food, toys, things they aren't supposed to have... yours chose right handedness.

If they can't respect your parenting style and discussion isn't helping, limit their time with her. Some people don't realize their stint as parent is OVER and grandparenting has a different set of rules.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Tell them to fuck off. I'm left handed and if anyone tells me it's wrong I will gladly give them the bird with my good hand.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Grandparents never follow the rules and btw there nothing wrong with being a leftie.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My hubby and my 3 yr old daughter are both lefties. They should use whichever hand is natural to them. My son hasn't chosen one way or another yet, and uses both hands equally- so I may be the only righty in my house. My dd used to have a t-shirt that said "We are all born right handed, some of us are smart enough to overcome it". Left handers are statistically more intelligent.
    HappyHomeMommy

Answer by HappyHomeMommy at 1:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a leftie, grandparents never do follow any rules, after all there are suppose to spoil them , so t is said!! I am sure they mean well, but explain to them why it bothers you.

Answer by older at 1:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Psychological Characteristics of Left-handed People
    Leadership. About 66% of American presidents in the last 30 years were left-handed men. Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, and Gerald Fold were all left-handed presidents. Barack Obama and John McCain are both left-handed.

Quick thinkers. Studies have shown that lefties are “exceptional.” Australian research shows that left-handed people think more quickly when playing computer games or sports. Left-handed people also tend to earn more money.

Generally, Southpaws are thought to be more flexible, highly intelligent, and more resilient than right-handed people.

.http://psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/personality_traits_of_lefties

Don't fret. It is great to be a lefty!

Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 1:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Tell them to mind their Ps and Qs or DD won't be coming over anymore. That's what I would do.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 1:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I'm a lefty and my oly issue is when writing my pencil smears across the page. There is so much superstition and myths about the LEFT side of your body, that even today those myths are passed down, maybe the teacher is just caught up in those myths?

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/lefty_myths.html#1
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with being left-handed. My grandmother was left-handed and she was very intelligent. I would just limit your child's exposure to her grandparents without your presence and take comfort in knowing that their attempts at coaching her will not be successful. A natural right-handed will remain naturally right-handed, and same goes for a left-handed person.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I'm not worried about her being a leftie as long as that's what SHE IS. It aggravates the living sh*t out of me that they keep trying to force righthandedness on her. When she was an infant, she would suck her left thumb . .that was my first sign. Then it was playing her piano, then using eating utensils. Yesterday, she colored with her left hand. I'm pretty sure that she is a leftie. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to get RUDE with them before they listen. These people need their time limited anyway. On Christmas Eve at dinner, my daughter's cousin told her No for something and FIL was like "Don't tell her No, she doesn't like that word!"

I was like WTF????? I snapped at him! She needs to learn NO. When she comes home from their house, she acts like a little brat for a little while until she realizes it doesn't fly here. I still can't believe he said that idiotic sh*t!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2009