Are you over protective?

I manage to maintain a well-balanced disciplinary for my child but I do allow her to experience things so long as it doesn't put her life at risk.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• At times yes, if we are in a public place with alot of people. My daughter likes to run, and is just over 2, not trusting of people that much. (unless I know them)
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• ,when it comes to leaving her with people she has only been left with her dad who im married to and still with.when she climbs and stuff im right there by her to let her do it by herself with my hand up to catch her if she falls,lol.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• no, but my DH is
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• People would probably call me UNDER protective! I have 3 boys and I usually let them do their own thing as long as it doesn't put them or anyone else in danger. My son played football this past summer and I got a few LOOKS at some of the games because he got hit kind of hard a couple of times and I didn't run onto the field to rescue him. But his dad was the coach and was on the field with him and I knew if he was seriously hurt, his dad would have let me know. But some of the other moms were like "OMG, is he ok, OMG!!!" and I was like "oh he's fine."
    Anonymous

• I am extremely overprotective of my son, but I have to be because he doesn't know how to take care of himself, as he has no sense of danger & is very developmentally delayed. We work on life skills with him and, when we feel he is ready, we start to push him towards practicing those skills on his own, but it takes a loooong time for him to internalize a lesson, so we expect to be taking care of him for a many years to come. He cannot advocate for himself very well, so even the idea of a group home terrifies me, because I won't be able to know if he's being well taken care of when I'm not there unless he tells me, which he isn't always capable of doing.
    Anonymous

• Some people say I am. I say I'm just not stupid and naive lol. My boys are 12 and 11, and my DD is 5. Most of my sons friends run around the base unsupervised whenever they're not in school. I do not allow my kids to do this because just because we live on a military base does not mean they are safe (there have been a few incidents here on base lately that confirm this), and it also doesn't mean that those kids are not out causing trouble. Teens seem to get in trouble alot on this base lately for doing things like vandalism, theft, physical altercations, etc. There is a reason for that, which I won't go into right now. My middle child has to ride a bus to his school That bus picks him up at 640 AM at the elementary school which is a mile from our house. yes, still on base. But because it is that early and still dark out, I do not let him walk to the bus every morning, I drive him. Everybody says I should just send him out...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• walking alone. No thanks. He hasn't got a cell phone to call me if anything were to happen to him. There are also coyotes around here so I don't think that's overprotective. My DD is 5, and she does not play outside unless I am outside or another adult is outside supervising her. Most of my friends send their little ones (as young as 3) out to play by themselves, or out with siblings who might be 7 or 8. I think that's irresponsible. Just my opinion though, I would never presume to tell someone how to raise their children lol. But yes I am seen as very overprotective.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i'moften seen as overprotective.....i agree....lol...i can be.....but i feel that given the times......i have to be.....there are way more dangers in the world than there were 30 yrs ago......even 10 yrs ago for that matter......i try to let dd (7...will be 8 in feb) have a few extra inches of my "apron strings".....lol...but sometimes it's hard.....i've usually got my eye on her the whole time and make sure to make a mental note of what she's wearing.....dd (3....will be 4 in feb) is a whole different animal!.....he has no fear and has no problem being away from us or out of our sight......dd has always been more scared when she couldn't see us!....i will allow them to go play in the back yard by themselves....the yard is fenced in with a privacy fence and i keep the blinds open and can see them from most places in the house

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 4:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• No. Maybe a little underprotective, though :) But I know when to step in and when to let her fall.
    Anonymous

• I'm not strict, but I do keep my kid in line. He knows what he is and isn't supposed to do, but as any toddler he likes to explore. There are certain leanencies I allow, but for the most part he follows the rules.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2009