Is it rude or helpful for a guest to wash dishes?

When you are an overnight guest at someone's house, do you wash the dishes?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 2:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It depends on the household. Some people find it rude, an affront to their hospitality. Other people are fine with the guest cleaning up after herself (and some actually expect it). So, it would depend on where I was and their feelings on the matter.

My husband and I have an issue with this in that I find it helpful and he finds it rude, lol, so our guests just don't bother asking anymore, because his feelings come first (and that means HE gets to clean them) since he thinks we're rude if we allow it.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 4:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Of course, it's rude not to.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yes! and strip the bed and clean up the bathroom! Think of all the troubby they went to having you over :)!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I actually often bring food and make everyone a big breakfast in the morning. But my friends and family are used to this and kind of expect that I'll cook for them the entire time I'm visiting. They do dishes.

If I'm at someone's home and not cooking, I clean everything. I often walk their dogs and such too.

The younger SILs and BILs are required to do dishes and help with chores when they stay with us.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• absolutely. anything that needs to be done, i'll pitch in... if i'm staying with family/close friends i'll run the laundry too.

i find it such a relief when someone helps out when they are here. that said, i was raised this way and not everyone was, so i never expect anyone to help out, if they do its a nice bonus to their visit though!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My mom always ends up cleaning while she's at my house, or my sister's house.
    We were always taught growing up to help clean up when we visited family.
    If I'm at a friend's house, or at the in-laws. I at least take my dishes in and rinse them off.
    But at my parent's house I help with whatever I can.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I think when dinner is over everyone should ptich in and load the dishwasher, put away food and wash/dry the dishes. It will get done fast and is very nice so the host doesnt have to quickly get thru chores so they can visit. i do dishes all the time at my boyfriends parents house.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i think it is great to offer,but if the host insists not to...listen. i HATE almost anyone else washing my dishes!!my MIL drives me crazy b/c i have told her numerous times i prefer to do it myself and yet she insists!!i usually end up rewashing dishes if anyone else does them which is a lot more work for me.
    ainamama

Answer by ainamama at 5:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Its nice to offer, but I agree, if they insist no then don't.
    level1fevi

Answer by level1fevi at 8:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have been a servant for so many holidays at my house, that it is a breath of fresh air that someone helps out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Dec. 29, 2009