what can i do?

I've tried to be nice, but I can't take it anymore!!!! I live in a triplex (three houses all connected) my neighbor smokes like a chimney so my house always reaks of smoke. Like I said I have tried to be nice, I've even tried ignoring it but it reaks!!! It can't be good for my 2 kids either. My family has stopped using our front door because we share a porch and everytime we go near it we get bombarded with smoke so now we only use our sliding door. We are trying to save money now to move but I'm afraid that's not going to happen for quite some time. What can I do in the mean time?

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• tell the landlord, but as long as they are smoking in their own home I dont' think there is much you can do. I do feel your pain! I don't smoke and HATE it around my children or myself. I lived in the projects and shared a porch with a smoker :(, there were always butts everwere!! and even ashtrays on my side. But I was also very friendly with my neighbor so I was stuck, whenever the smoke blow my childrens or my way, I would say nicely..hey I don't want your smoke and the would move to block it from blowing by my house or windows. Good luck with the jerk neighbor of yours.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• hmm thats a tough one...obviously you cant really complain to the landlord becuase you must be able to smoke if their smoking in the home. I dunno do you live in a warm area? To have a fan or two in the window, one blowing the smoke out and the other bringing in fresh air. Or maybe give it a shot with the landlord. Just let them know, its outta control, you don't think its fair to have to pay rent and have to have your house smell like smoke when you don't even smoke. Have you tried stopping by their door and letting them know it really bothers you?
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 2:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The landlord knows and doesn't care.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I hear ya. I have an upstairs neighbor that smokes and every time they turn on the bathroom vent it comes into my apt. So I have to go running and turn mine on when they turn their's on. Talk to the landlord. Maybe they have a rule against smoking. Some places do. I had one smoker evicted bc he was smoking in the common area (against rules) and throwing butts on the carpets and grinding them out with his shoe. Maybe you can be lucky like that. The other idea would be to think about moving. Maybe the landlord has another unit and won't charge another deposit

Answer by admckenzie at 2:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• There is an old saying that one man's freedom begins where another's leaves off. Your neighbor has every right to smoke in his own home just as you have every right not to smoke in yours. If the landlord does not have a policy of not renting to persons who smoke, then you are the one who is going to have to find another place to live. You simply have no leverage to enforce your living conditions on someone else. Before you move, it would be wise to ask about the potential landlord's rules regarding smoking. Look for one who does not rent to smokers, if that is even possible in today's society. Most cities have ordinances where landlords cannot discriminate against anyone and must rent to anyone who applies. Your only option may be to rent a single occupant home and not an apartment, duplex, or triplex. You will still run the risk of following smokers who have lived there before you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Talk to the landlord.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Other than talking to your landlord, your only real recourse is to move.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2009