What do you do about interviews when you can't find a babysitter?

I really need a job and have had interviews, but have had to cancel them b/c I cannot find a babysitter. I can't afford to pay anyone until I get a job. My DH works a minimum wage job so we def. can't afford for him to take off, plus his boss wouldn't let him. I had 1 friend that would watch my DD so I could go to interviews, but she won't do it anymore and always says no or avoids me when I ask. I've asked like everyone I know and everyone always has an excuse why they can't. I get so down that no one will help me out. What could I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I used to trade babysitting with neighbors and friends.

Answer by Bmat at 3:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Have you offered to pay your friend for watching your dd. Maybe she feels used. Or maybe you can offer to come clean her house for her or watch her kids for her. Repay her in SOME way. Even the best of friends tire of doing over and over for someone who seems like they don't appreciate what they are doing for them. Just think about that. Not criticizing you so hope you don't take what I'm saying the wrong way.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I guess you need to work out something with a neighbor or someone, could you offer some services in exchange, or why not watch a baby in your home for extra money?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Is there a daycare center with a dropin policy?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You need better friends. Find friends that are mom's too!! They will understand and you can return the favor for her!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I had the same problem, cant afford to start son in daycare because im not working, cant start working because i cant go on interviews with him on my hip, its a REALLY sickening circle. Fortunately my SO could finally find a way to get 2 hours off of work, and an aunt of mine watched my son for 4 hours a day until he got into daycare. Its so hard to get things rolling keep your head up! People rarely believed me when i said i didnt have ANYONE who could help at the time. not friends and family works!!! everyone is in a bad situation financially...i would seek out a job with different hours, then explain to them when they call you for an interview the reason you applied was because of the hours, so your interview should be during those times.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have traded with people before so that I could go to a Doctors appointment. I don't know too many people who would turn down free babysitting. Luckily both my kids are in school or pre-school a few hours a day so I can normally co-ordinate interviews in that time.

Good luck and I hope you find a job soon.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2009