What do you think?

My kids are 5 and 2. My FIL wants to give them sled rides by pulling them behind a 3 wheeler. I do not care how slow he goes, I do not want them riding that way. My husband thinks it's not a big deal since his grandpa did it with him when he was little. I just think of the two people I know that did it and even though they were going faster and messing around, the are mentally and physically disabled now. Am I being too stiff? Should I just let them have fun or stick to my guns??

khedy

Asked by khedy at 3:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call me an over protective parent but I think you are spot on about not allowing your young children to joy ride in this particular manner. I know that it is seen in some families as just innocent fun...well as they say, "it is all fun and games until someone gets hurt." In this case it is especially true. I know some friends who say it is about going a certain speed, knowing how to be a safe driver, they don't do stupid things...blah, blah, blah. Okay. But even sometimes very good people who are capable of driving those machines make mistakes or conditions unforeseen (like rocks and big logs jutting out) cause accidents. That is why they are called accidents - they are unplanned. I would have to say a big HELL NO to this one personally. Great that Grandpa wants to spend time with the kids but perhaps just nothing involving being in the back of heavy machinery and being tossed around at high speeds.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't like it either but my husband would be just like yours. I'd let like two rides happen and then shut it down.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I woul not allow my child to do it. They could fall off and hit a tree. If they go down a hill the sled could swing around and they could be ran over.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 3:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• If it were me I wouldnt let them, my youngest is 5 and this is the first year she has gone sledding without me on the sled with her and we still keep her at the lower end of the hill so she cant get up speed. I had a aunt who was ona saucer sled years ago she hit a tree and was never right in the head afterwards so i am a little protective lol.

I do however have a friend who lets her son ride behind the 3 wheeler and she is fine withit because it is how she was raised.

I would say you are like me for you it is a safety issue and you have good reason to feelt he way you do and it is justified, you are not being over protective. Your DH is justified in his thinking because he doesnt have the bad experiences to back his decision.

Maybe try meeting in the middle set an age where you feel it is okay for them to ride behind the 3 wheeler, to me 2 y/o is not a appropriate age.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Nope,stick to your guns!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Stick to your guns. When you said the kids will be pull on a sled behind a four wheller. I said, hell freaking no. I would tell my DH and FIL, over my dead body.

Answer by louise2 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Stick to you guns. Tell GF that if he wants them to go on a sled ride find a safe hill and pull them up it. And tell them why.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I would never do that. There are way too many things that could go wrong.
    The sled could tip over, it could swing out around the vehicle and hit a tree or building. They could hit ice and the sled could be crushed. Etc. STick to your guns and don't give in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Thank you ladies! I appreciate your answers!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Geesh. Those kids are YOUNG to be even considering that. Tell hubby maybe when they are older- with helmets. Then duke it out again then. LOL.
    Anonymous