Imaginary friends/pets and other things.

My three year old son has a very active imagination. He has "pet" komodo dragons, lizards, butterflies, spiders, tons of bugs basically. Tonight I put him in bed, and he was out for a few hours, and I hear him talking. So I walk up stairs and before I get to his room I hear him say something about a black gun. I went in and asked him who he was talking to. He said Lightning McQueen. He has a Cars tent in his room, and he was sitting straight up in bed with his back to the wall facing Lightning McQueen and talking to the tent. Sometimes he wakes up and see's "monsters" and I make him beat the monsters up. One of his favorite movies is Monsters Inc.
My question is... Does he have a super over active imagination, or is this normal for his age? It kind of creeped me out tonight.

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 4:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is actually a sign of a bright child at that age. Children that use their imagination are normally brighter children.
    The movies your son watches could also play a role in what he is doing. My nephew is the same age and loves Scooby Doo, so he is always talking about ghosts. He knows when he comes to my house there is no ghosts here, I beat them all up :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• yes, its normal. not ALL kids have imaginary friends, but at some point most do. its a healthy exploration of self, and a way to vent after a long day, or share excitements or fears.

i would not be concerned.

dd decided that she was going to be a cat when she was 3 (i was pregnant with ds) and she didn't utter a word for almost 4 months, just meowed, hissed & growled. now she's a perfectly well adjusted almost 9 year old who is at the top of her class... it was just an exploratory phase.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• my daughter went thourgh the being a kitten and puppy stage and she also talks to friends i cant see, she has a great imagination. I take it as a sign of being creative, as long as he isnt scared then he should be fine, it is completely normal.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My oldest had 2 imaginary friends. "Little Hannah" and "Pawney". Her name is Hannah, so I thought "Little Hannah" was cute. I think "Pawney" was a boy a couple of years older than her. My youngest is now 4 and has not had any pretend friends. She is very literal.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• normal. Not to worry.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2009