What type of diets should I follow with Gestional Diabetes in order to have a healthy baby?

I was just told I did not pass my 3hr glucose, now I need to be checking my sugar every day and after meals! Im freaking out, well Im not understanding much of it.... All I want is to have a healty baby and want to know if anyone has gone through this situation? For my previous pregnacies I never had an abnormal glucose.... If anyone has any advice I will be so thankful... I will see my dr. tomorrow and he will evaluate me base on my sugar readings; so I will have plenty of questions as well for him as to what to follow, but is always good to learn about diffrent experiences.. Thanks! Mommy's always worry! :)

nica_bella

Asked by nica_bella at 5:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dont stress! i had it with both of my pregnancies...i will pm you..
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• the brewers diet
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 7:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• it's not that difficult. You will have to stay away from "sweets" including fruit juices. But you will end up eating every couple of hours - I felt like I was eating ALL the time! The idea is to keep your blood sugar level stable, so you will want to watch the number of carbs you eat and space them throughout the day. Some of it will depend on your body and you will learn from trial and error what works for you. (With my last pregnancy I couldn't eat any fruit for the first 1/2 of the day, but then for supper I could eat almost whatever I wanted without raising my blood sugar)
    One advantage of following the diet is that it usually keeps your weight down and makes it easier to get back in shape after the baby is born!

Answer by missanc at 7:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Your doctor should have referred you to a Certified Diabetes Educator; preferably one who specializes in pregnant women. This is what my sister does for a living; if you are in the Chicago metro area, send me a message offlist and I will get you her office information.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The Brewers diet is great and very effective!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2009