Do you go on vacation without your S/O or DH?

OK. I am just trying to understand why people do this, or better still how? I dont think either I or my DH would ever even consider going on vacation with other people without the other one being there. And I just need to know why people do this. I know different things work for different people and I am seriously NOT judging. The way I see it is that my DH and I work so hard and if there comes a time or an opportunity for a vacation, we both want to be with the other person to experience it together.

And oh I was watching an episode of the real housewives of OC and this topic came up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• oooh how I would love that.. LOL but, unfortunately I always take him along.. LOL
    Anonymous

• sadly, I guess some people need a vacation from each other. I like being with my DH.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• only when my familys in town then he gets stuck whith the kids while i enjoy my break
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 6:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• me and my daughter go to orlando a couple times a year to visit my family and friends. He usually has to work.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I don't really go on "vacation" But I have gone for a weekend to stay with my best friend to get a break from the kids for a while..

I went up to West Virginia for a week (for a family reunion) without him, he had to work. My family up there had not met our daughter yet and I didn't want to pass up the opportunity.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I go on vacations without my DH.... Sorry not that I dislike him, but I had a life before I got married. Just because I got married I don't feel the need to have to do every single thing with my DH. I go somewhere for 5 days every summer with the girls. And every spring break my DH and I go on vacation. Every other year we have our kids with us. It is not a problem in our marriage that we do things apart or together. Majority of the time I am with my DH in fact about 95% of the time outside of work I am with him. I just feel that people need their own time as well to enjoy life. To LIVE, that is why we are here on earth to live and experience. I am not bashing other couples who do things together, my DH and I just knew what we expected from the beginning. OUR goal is to live life to the fullest and have one another
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My husband and I are okay with one of us going someplace without the other. For example, I really want to go to Thailand and DH doesn't want to go. He tells me to go. But if I said Egypt, he'd be mad because he wants to go to Egypt. I want to have my 40th in Paris with my girlfriends and he'd say okay to that.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I go on a "mom's weekend" every year with around 10 of my friends. We go to the beach, outlet shop, just sit around a rental house and talk, have a few drinks. It's extremely relaxing just to get away from it all! There's a bond with my gfriends that is different from my bond with my dh - not stronger, not better, just different.
    Now we do go on vacation together as well, I love spending time with him but having some time apart to spend with our separate friends keeps things alive for us (not to mention the phone sex you can have while apart!)

Answer by missanc at 7:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• About the only "vacation" we ever get is when the stepboys go to visit their mom. We just have his kids with us, mine are grown and moved out, so any time that is just "us" is great!

Although in general, I'm never sure if separate vacations are good for some marriages.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i wouldn't call going to mexico to stay with my mother for a couple of wks away from my husband a vacation but some would. if he has to work and the kids or i want to get away we do so. i would love it if he coould come but i also think it makes our relationship stronger. if my husband wants to go snow boarding for a few days with his friends i let him. we both go our seperate ways and live without the other being there all the time. it's not as if we don't have our own lives just cause were one now. when we do seperate though we really can't wait to be back to each other and it revitalizes for me just how much i really do love the big hunk of love meat so much. we try to get in a vacation with just the 2 of us at least once of yr. even if that means just going to my mothers in mexico.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2009