doesn't anybody in North East Florida need a chimney cleaned?

I moved to NE FL 6 months ago and when we lived in TX this was the time of year we got dozens of calls to our cleaning service for people needing chimneys cleaned now we have only had a few...whats up? We are really hurting now I can't put food on the table here and don't know what we are going to do. Please call if you need anything cleaned or repaired in your home or office...Breathe-EZ cleaning 1-877-515-6234

Justluckie

Asked by Justluckie at 6:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• mm, not many people need fireplaces in Florida, or if they do have them, probably don't use them.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yep, I'm with SandraB on this question. We live in SC and have used our fireplace once for 3 days back in 2003 because of a freak ice storm.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yeah, there's not much need for a fireplace in FL. You might want to either change your line of work or move somewhere colder to keep your business going.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yeah but it gets chillier here than TX and we have had a few calls a week but guess there is just not as many places to advertise also. Oh well guess we will figure it out thanks
    Justluckie

Answer by Justluckie at 7:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• In addition to what the others have said about FLA not being THE hot spot for fireplaces and chimneys, 6 months really isn't long enough to have established your business and built a reputation in the area. My husband and I started a service company several years ago, and it took us about a year before we were working steadily and keeping our books fairly full, and that was with a lot of hard work. Does your biz have a website? If not, you need one! Then list it on every free site you can, such as merchantcircle.com, hotfrog.com, yelp.com, yahoo.com, google maps, etc. The more places you're listed, the better chance you have of coming up in searches. Do good, professional work, and ASK your customers politely for referrals. We run a referral program in our business, and we do literally 90% repeat customer and referral business (which means virtually NO advertising expenses!). Also, w/ the economy being bad (cont'd)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• -it's kind of tough right now, especially if your business isn't established with repeat clients yet. Many people are cutting back on services.
    Another idea is to make sure that you introduce yourself and partner with complementary services-- trade referrals with other home service companies. We get a lot of business that way too. Remodelers, painters, pest control companies, etc refer us to their clients and we do the same for them. We only work with other reputable services for referral trades. You might consider joining a "leads" group (networking) for this. I was in one for the first year we were in business, and got several clients that way, which led to further referrals and so on.
    And--most importantly--just make sure you're being the BEST at what you do--have a professional looking vehicle, equipment, uniforms, invoices, etc., conduct yourself extra-politely and professionally on the phone, etc. Make an impression!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• There are several chimney sweeps in FL. I'm in Jax and there are signs all over for them. We use our fireplace often. We had it checked at the beginning of the season and the people that checked ours don't charge unles it needs to be cleaned. It didn't need to be cleaned yet, though.

How much do you guys charge? I'm not sure what it would have been if we had used this company Hubby took the day off to handle it, so I'm not sure who it was either.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the advice vicesix Yes when we moved to TX it took about 1 year to be completely booked. We offer many other services we clean everything and do handyman work also we have been in business about 7 yrs and we are always upfront and honest with our customers so most of our business is word of mouth. We do have a website www.breathe.vpweb.com. We will be in Shades Of Pink magazine starting next month and we have been getting some word of mouth business now so I am hoping things will pick up (fingers crossed) and then we can catch up on our bills. As far as the charge for chimney cleaning if it is only a one story home we charge $70 includes inspection and cleaning. Feel free to check out all of our services and if you or anyone you know needs anything done tell us you saw it on cafemom and we will give you 10% off :) Thanks again everyone I have faith it will pick up. Happy New Year
    Justluckie

Answer by Justluckie at 8:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2009