Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paternity Test Question

When a guy files to get a dna test to establish paternity..where does he file this? is there only one place or could he do this through the etc...or is it just a state office ? And how long would it take for me to get notice of this, and would this be through a letter or the phone? Could he also request this test be done by having a lawyer inform me or some other way of doing this?

(BTW he is not on any legal documents so he would NEED a dna test to establish that he is in fact the father)
I just really want to know how long it would be before I would be notified and who would be notifying me so I can have a heads up.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • I said the army because he is in the army lol...i sounded a bit random but I thought maybe they had councelers and people set up to help guys through this becaues I had heard him speak of something like that before...and im wondering if they could request the paternity test for him or appoint him a lawyer or something???

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

  • He can go to any lab directly and request a DNA test. They would send you the appt time to bring the child. He can do it on his own or hire a private attorney to have the court compel you to bring the child if you refused the test when the lab tells you to go

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

  • He can set a court hearing and you will be made to do DNA, I wouldn't fight it. I would simply do the DNA. And if you deny him being the father and he turns out the father you could be responsible for the payments for court. BEEN THERE DONE THAT>

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

  • In my city it is done through the courts or child support agency. The alleged father can get an attorney to file for paternity. The alleged father will have to pay for all the testing. Do not fight it, just get the DNA test done. It is done by a mouth swab. It takes seconds. After the DNA test comes back, if the alleged father is proven to be the father, custody and child support will be set, as will visitation. Usually you get a few weeks from the time you get notice in the mail until the time of the test.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

  • We got a DNA test done at a private lab and my stepsons mom was not required to know. DH had a good reason to doubt he wasn't his so we got it done and about a week later we got a letter mailed to us at the address we provided and we didn't put her down as a contact. It may be different for you though since he is not on the birth certificate. My husband was so he had the legal right to get him tested without her consent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.