How do i get my BF baby to take a bottle again?

She stopped being able to take a bottle for some reason. she cries when iput the nipple in her mouth and when itry to hold it in her mouth she gags.

i tried it carefully and letting her take it on her own accord and that had the same result

i have bottlefed her my milk before so i could have two consequetive drinks and not worry

how can iget her to take a bottle? did this ever happen to anyone else?

i unfroze 4 oz of milk for christmas and ended up bfing all day because she wouldn't take the bottle and the milk went to waste.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby has good taste, apparently, and she knows "breast is best". Good for her. I would lay off the drinks until she's weaned, and let her have the breast if I were you.
    Anonymous

• How old is she? She maybe confused and not understand that this is were food comes from too. Also is the thawed breast milk warmed up, she may hate it cold. Also you could try having your drink at night and then pump and dump. Any that you don't pump out will most likely be precessed by your body by the morning feeding provided that she is old enough to go all night. You could also try different nipples, maybe a shorter or smaller one is more her size. Other then that if she is old enough to pick it up on her own. Keep it with some water in it available to her and see if she starts experimenting with it, as with any other toy.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• How long did you go without giving her a bottle? Baby become more stubborn as they get older. My daughters both started off taking the occasional bottle but stopped around two months and would never take the bottle again.

How old is your daughter? You could try a cup or a different kind of bottle. Also try having someone else give her the bottle.

I know it can be frustrating, I couldn't leave my first for more than two hours until she was 10 months old, and it'll probably be the same way with my younger one too.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My DD would only take the breast flow bottlw from first years. Heres a video on how it works:

http://media.learningcurve.com/brands/BreastFlow/demo/breastflow_test.html

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• YOU shouldn't be giving the bottle, to start with. If you've had enough to drink to where you can't nurse, you shouldn't be caring for her. If you're okay to care for her, you're okay to nurse. If you're giving her a bottle for some other reason... you still shouldn't give her the bottle because shes smart and knows you have the real thing.

That all said... both my boys ended up refusing bottles after a period of time. I just worked around it. You can try different nipples and not even being in the house at the time... but some babies just don't like bottles. She'll wait for you if you go out, and if you're together to just nurse her.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• 7 weeks and no i'm not running around too drunk to take care of my baby, jeez. she's had breastmilk from a bottle since she was 3 weeks - maybe once or twice a week. the frozen milk was warmed and i know some babies wont drink it but she had the same problem with fresh that day expressed milk. i will try different nipples too- i tried all i had.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• and i dont want to lay off drinks til shes weaned- i want to be able to drink my wine at night and not be worried that shes going to wake up starving even though ijust fed her- which has happened! I know "safe to drive safe to nurse" i don't care, i still dont like doing it. I also want to get some sleep and let her dad feed her. whatever my reasons are, i just need answers thanks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I didn't say you were running around too drunk to care for her... quite the opposite! :)

Have your wine, I know I do! Don't worry about it so much, you certainly don't need to abstain until she weans. Nurse first, drink after. Drink slowly and with food... it's fine and won't hurt her.

So far as sleep goes... co-sleep. You should get plenty of sleep while she nurses happily next to you... no reason for someone else to feed her for you to sleep!

Try different bottles (adiri?), try leaving the room... or the house... but sometimes it just doesn't work. I tried everything with my first and so when my second started rejecting, I knew it wasn't a big deal. You can also try sippy cups with the valve removed. Dad tips cup back, baby takes a sip... she will get to the point where she just wants to nurse though and it's not about the milk.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You need to have someone else give her the bottle, when you are not around.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009