im seriously about ready to put paddolocks on everything help

im at a loss i got the child safty locks for the fridge and laundry room to keep my 2 yr out of the food.(i keep snacks in the laundry room) my oldest showed her how to un lock them and even put a hook lock at the top of the laundry room door but as soon as start cleaing up stairs the boys unhook it and get in the snacks..i dont know what else to do, the kids are ages 7, 5, and 2....any advice to keep them outa of the food?

i serve 3 good size meals plus 2 to 3 snacks a day..i know they arent hungry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have a 4 year old does the same damn thing. Every night, every day. any chance he can. its been going on for probably almost a year now. Getting into stuff in my room, the cupboards, the fridge, garbage...and then he takes the wrappers and throws them in the vent...talk about a fire hazard...hes used a sharp ass nice to cut thing open to eat it. or to spread the peanut butter on the bread. and i've tried everything. Nothing works. So many mom's suggested mental issues, but i don't think its anything like that, they don't need medication and your not starving your child. I guess its just a stage that they'll eventually grow out of. Just hang in there!!!!!
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 6:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I would get hide everything but fruits and veggies for snacks. keep them in a convent place and let them know that if they must eat, eat that. All other snacks go up into a cabinet and do padlock it. This will allow them to feed there need (for whatever reason) to eat but keep them from putting on excessive weight and who doesn't need more fruit and veggies, plus set up better eating habits. Hopefully they will not be to full to eat there meals. GL

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Wow. My mom never used child safety locks on ANYTHING. It was understood that we werent' allowed to eat in between meals or get into food in the kitchen, and if we did, there were consequences.
    Anonymous

• They need to be punished, and I would go ahead and get the padlocks.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I do not know what kind of snacks you are talking about. but it would be a good idea to stop buying any snacks but fruit, veggies, and plain crackers. But if you insistence on having snacks in the house, put a real lock on a cabinet.

Answer by louise2 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• There need to be consequences at least for the two older kids. Rules are to be followed and the kids needs to learn that. Also, in the meantime, cut down on the amount of unhealthy snacks you are buying and keep them in a locked cabinet.

Answer by missanc at 7:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• They are pushing your limits and you keep moving the limits instead of pushing back. Establish rules and follow them. No snacks means no snacks. You are the parent. If they break the rules (especially the older ones) they are punished. Also, I would not buy any snack food but raisins, nuts and fresh fruit. They want chips in their lunches, too bad, you couldn't follow the rules.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• take all the snacks away, if they need a snack they can have something plain and wholesome, like graham crackes, fruit, peanut butter toast. until they can learn to limit themselves they can't have any "fun" snacks.

my boys were like this, i would find hoards of snack wrappers that i did not even know they had taken. they had even stolen the kool-aid mix and were eating it with a spoon. we went a long time without sweet stuff, and now at 10 and 12 they will ask for a snack and read the packages for serving size. not saying we always follw it but you should at least know how much your really eating.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I was raised that any food we ate had to be approved by mom and we NEVER snuck in the cupboards, that woman knew how much there was of everything! DH was raised with an "open kitchen"so it didn't bother him, but I tried my rules with my DS and it didn't work, he was always into the food! If i went to the bathroom that kid would be eating dry pasta when I came out! No kidding one day he was eating dry macaroni LOL! So we established a "snack drawer" that was healthy snacks in small portions and a bottom drawer in the fridge with snacks and small water bottles and juice boxes, that stuff was accessible anytime for him. The first couple of weeks he went nuts eating everything in a day or two, then I learned to put smaller amounts in them and he learned that it was not a magic area that refilled whenever it was empty, if he ate it all he had no snacks until I said it was time to refill it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2009