Have you ever had fleeting thoughts of leaving your children ?please be honest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• sometimes but my whole life and anyone who knows me associates me with them and would never be forgiven, and then sometimes i realize it's not the kids i want to run from but other factors whatever it is don't take your anger out on them and maybe visit a shrink or something good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yes, especially up until they were like age 3. In fact, I don't think I fully appreciated my children until about age 4 or 5, when we could actually communicate and talk and they were more independent. It's selfish I know but they just seemed to ruin my life for the first few years. Yes, I made a choice to have them but I guess I wasn't prepared to be so bogged down by babyhood. Now, I've made a point to get out and get a break and I can take them anywhere and no longer feel sick and overwhelmed by them. Sad but true. I adore them now. But I used to fantasize about leaving them with their father and running away to Europe never to return!
    Anonymous

• Wow...really??
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yes, and then I immediatly panic! I wouldn't do it. I know it would screw them up. And their dad. And me.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Nope... never. My son is a gift from God and we cherish him more than life itself. NOW - that isn't saying I am not angry or at my wits end at times... but I would never walk out on him. I lost my parents very early in life... could not ever do that to my children.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Fleeting thoughts yes, one time I had had it with DS -then 2 or 3 yo- and took him to my SIL's and dropped him off for a few hours and after I stopped crying about how i was a horrible mother for doing that and was driving back to the grocery store I thought 'what if i just keep on driving?' and a few weeks ago again, he is now 16 yo I thought that as I was running around with work, hockey practice, getting ready for xmas. But then my next thought is always that no matter where I ran away too I would want DS and DH there with me it is just the stress of life that I want to escape.
    Sounds like you need a little "me time" momma even if it means staying up 30 minutes later than usual, or taking an extra few minutes in the bathroom if you don't have another adult to watch them for a longer time. It will be worth having time each day to look forward to being all yours.
    Anonymous

• Been there. I had wicked PPD after my twins were born and finally came home from hospital. When my husband went back to work and I was alone with the babies all day I would look at them and cry, wondering what I'd done becoming a mother and how was I going to manage to take care of them. I wanted badly to run away from my whole life. Thankfully I got into the Dr and was diagnosed with PPD. Those feelings were from the PPD and thankfully medication made it %100 better.

I think it's normal to feel that way sometimes though. I recall my mom making comments about wanting to run away when I was a kid lol. I used to make her promise to take me with her!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have a 13 year old hormonal boy, I have thought about it but that is as far as it goes. My life would be too boring without his craziness. LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yes, I used to think about it from time to time when the kids were younger. I even went so far as to tell my mom and a good friend on separate occasions how I was feeling. Somehow they helped me get past the hard times. The kids are older now and very independent so it's gotten a lot better.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 9:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• No I've never thought about running away from my kids. I've whined for some me time. And I've hid in my bath room trying to catch a 5 min break. But once my son starts yelling where is mommy. It turns into a good game of hide and seek. lol My life would be so boring and blah with out my kids.

MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 9:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009