Religious or Spiritual

What is the difference between being Spiritual and being Religious?

RedBlaze

Asked by RedBlaze at 6:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly to me they blend into one another. Religion refers more to the spiritual community or church you belong to, it includes your beliefs. Spiritual is more internal and means you believe in God(s).

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You could argue it's open to interpretation but I'm spiritual and believe in reincarnation, spirits, the other side, a Mother and Father God, spirit guides, Soul mates, etc. I believe the world was created as a place for us to learn knowledge to bring back to God. We all have our hardships because you learn more when life has difficulties. There is no set of rules to follow or abide by or "else" and our lives were charted by ourselves on the other side and we planned all of it. We come here to execute the chart to the best of our abilities. It's all a big puzzle that has an overall picture. There are no coincidences.
    Anonymous

• Being religious implies the keeping of certain rules, which amounts to external behavior. Being spiritual implies being controlled from the inside and acting out of the internal nature.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i would put religious as more the legalism, church, and organized--such as protestant, methodist, etc---and spiritual as just a believer not all the dogma---but that is just my opinion
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 7:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I think religious implies someone who is adhering to the "rules" of said beliefs. Being spiritual is something internal, driven only by one's own conscious.
    I am an atheist, but consider myself incredibly spiritual.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Hmm... let me try to take a crack at this one: spirituality is the drive within a human for a supernatural experience. Religiousness is subscribing to a religion, a decreed set of doctrines or rules.
    Anonymous

• Spirituality is the open door, which lets in new experiences and new information. Religiousity is the closed door, where all new experiences and information are locked out.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The main difference is that religious has boundaries and regulations. It declares right and wrong. Spiritual is a freedom of expression. It's limitless in possibilities and embraces what is. To be spiritual is to be enlightened with the true nature of self.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• After reading all of the comments above, I must say that I think that there should be a balance between both. Just as some people think that religion is just a limit or a boundary that prevents you from having new experiences and information. Spirituality can also be so vague and open that you can be sucked into lies.

Personally, I need both. My religion is Christianity, but it isn't just a religion because it is also a spiritual experience. Jesus says, "The Father is seeking such as will worship Him in Spirit and in truth." We need both. Sometimes spiritual people do not follow truth. And sometimes religious people are spiritually dead.

In Christ we can have deep and powerful spiritual experiences. I mean just read 1 Kings 19, Elijah was blown away by God's reality and pressence. He had spiritual power, that blew away the "spiritual" people of his day.

I need the Holy Spirit and the truth found in the Bible.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I once read a definition that went something like "Religion is man reaching out to Spirit, while spirituality is Spirit reaching inside man". I personally think of them as external expression of belief and internal expression of belief. Religion is the external expression - the rituals, the rules of conduct, authorities, etc. It's a system of beliefs that others can often observe. Spirituality is the internal expression of belief - the inspiration and emotions behind belief. It's more difficult for others to see spirituality. It's something that is felt inside more than it's seen outside. I think that the two overlap quite a bit though and that people are often both religious and spiritual. It's more rare but still possible to be religious without being spiritual or vice versa.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2009