6 mth old sick now has bad breath

my 6 mth old has been sick for about a week now but i think its only getting worse. Hes just so much more cranky and irratable. I just noticed he now has REALY bad breath.....when i think of not feeling good and bad breath i think strep throat, could it be my 6 mth old has strep? He is also starting to cough alot and hard

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he has been sick for a week take him to the doctors
    Anonymous

• Could be, if he is not getting better; I would have him checked by his ped. My kids ALWAYS had bad breath with strep and a faint rash that was hard to see but easy to feel.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• It's INCREDIBLY hard for a child under 18 months to get strep throat. Extremely exTREMEly rare, so I highly doubt it. Maybe a tummy bug?
    Anonymous

• i am taking him to the doc tomorrow i just wanted to see what people thought just so i have a heads up what it could be
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Anon:39, my son got strep at 11 months old, and because I was told it was "extremely rare" for a child that young to get strep, I didn't push for a strep test, and as a result, the strep he DID have moved from his throat to his brain, and went untreated for nearly 8 months. We nearly lost him before a doc thought to do a test. He now has neurological, health, and immune problems.

OP, take him to the doc.
    Anonymous

• My mom used to say bad breath was due to an upset stomach.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Bad breath could easily be being caused by drainage going down his throat from his nose. That stuff starts dripping down there and leads to bacterial growth and causes the smell. My best friend's little one had bad breath when she had an ear infection (which can also be caused by drainage) Sounds like yours has a nasty cold. Between the symptoms, the duration and the fact that he seems to be getting worse, you should probably have him checked out so they can be sure he doesn't have an infection that needs treatment.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2009