Another question... can she live?

I asked a question about fetal hydrops yesterday. The Mommy is 20 weeks pregnant and they gave the baby only weeks to live. I got a response form a nurse that said its like congestive heart failure in a fetus. Soo.... now my questions is this... can the u/s be wrong and is there anything she can do or is a stillborn realy in her future?
I've had a stillborn at 29 weeks and dont want her to go through that... :o(

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Fetuses and Newborn infants with Fetal Hydrops have a 50/50 chance of survival, so yes, she can survive. I have researched it and it appears that there are some misdiagnosis cases related to fetal hydrops but usually they mess up thinking that a fetus has iron deficiency and don't catch the fetal hydrops and it's unlikely that they diagnose a fetus with fetal hydrops and are wrong..
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My son was born at 32 weeks with severe fetal hydrops on 11/18/09. We had NO indication there was a problem. It is not a common condition. Our son had a projected 5% chance of survival. On Christmas day (5 weeks later) we brought him home. So YES they can survive, but unfortunately it is often not as positive as our experience. He had to have bilateral chest tubes, a central line and was on oxygen for several weeks. His story if you are interested can be found :http://babyaidenjones.blogspot.com
    I am so sorry that your friend is having this experience. Have faith and I will be praying for you all.
    sma1122

Answer by sma1122 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2010