If we put our dog to sleep, should I have the kids say good-bye?

Our 9 year old lab isn't doing so well right now, and we may have to make the decision to put her to sleep. We don't know if we should take our 5 year old and 3 year old to say good bye to her before we put her to sleep.

dragonmommyj

Asked by dragonmommyj at 7:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pets

• 100% yes! They need to know what is happening, death is a part of life and it is part of us (as parents) to teach this to our children.
    Anonymous

• Yes yes yes. They need the closure and the understanding of what is going on.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• absolutely!!!! They need closer
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yes, I think you should tell them all about it... she's sick and going to heaven... or whatever u say
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I totally agree. when we put our dog down I went to say goodbye, but I was a lot older. It is a hard decision to make and I wish you all the luck in making the right decision for your pet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I'm happy that at the age of 18, my Grandma had me say goodbye to Duke (my golden retreiver since I was 5).
    Anonymous

• Yes, it will help them find closure,and understand a little bit more about life.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Don't take them to the vet but have them say good-bye before you leave. Sorry, you have to go through this. It's always so hard but the dogs are worth it.
    DotYourTs

Answer by DotYourTs at 12:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! kids need closure!! when i was 22, my dog got very sick, and one day i came home from work and my dog wasnt there. my parents took her to the vet to get put down while i was at work..oh my goodness was soooooooooooo pissed at them!! i literally didnt talk to them for over a month. its been 5 years..and i still cry over the fact that i didnt get to say goodbye. obviously your children are way younger than i was, but, doesnt change the fact that ppl need closure when it comes to stuff like that.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Thank you for your responses. We took our boys to say good bye. Our 5 year old was sad, and not sure what to do. Our 3 year old was very busy playing on the iTouch and said a quick good bye-both reactions were what we expected. My husband also took our other dog to the vet earlier to see our lab one last time.
    RIP Kali
    dragonmommyj

Answer by dragonmommyj at 5:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009