What is the basic definition of "Latter Day Saint"?

I've always wondered this. Is the name based on a verse in the bible or something?

Also, can anyone tell me why Seventh Day Adventists are called such?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because they think they guy who had the book of mormon (sorry cant remember his name) is a saint - a latter day saint, as in not in the bible.
    Anonymous

• I believe the SDA name has to do with the importance they place on observing the sabbath on the seventh day of the week, in other words on Saturday.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• the current and future days are called the later days and we as members are saints or could be referred to as saints in a vague defidetion (sp) at least that is what my mother told me as a child when i asked. it's not taught to us why or how we got the name or if it was in a lesson i don't recall it. i am a member though and this is my opinion on how we got the name. joseph smith called members of the church saints and non members referred to them as mormon saints and we live in the latter days. it makes sense.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• LDS is in reference to Joseph Smith (who wrote the book of mormon, and several other texts) "latter day" refers to the now and soon to be. as in, not ancient past, a new revelation.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Google is a wonderful thing!! :)
    From: http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDS_Intro.shtml#WhyLDS

Members of the Church are properly called "Latter-day Saints," because they follow the New Testament convention in which the early followers of Christ were called Saints (see Acts 9:13,32,41; Rom. 1:7; 1 Cor. 1:2; Philip. 1:1). "latter day" is used because we are in the latter days the the LDS church sees itself as being the restored church of Christ - the true church of these "latter days"
    Anonymous

• My hubby said the Osmonds were that. But I would research.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Latter day saints the name itself seems like it means Latter Days (Last Days or End Days) Saints (believers or christians) that's just what I always thought the name meant there are verses in the Bible that mention the Latter Days not sure if it ever spoke of Latter Day Saints though. Seventh Day Adventists name is based on their belief of worshipping on the actual sabbath the 7th day and their core beliefs are mainly based on that 7th day worship. I hope this helps it's more my own interpretation of their names not facts.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 3:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2009