baby powder and desitin on boys...

okay i don't use baby powder, i use desitin and it's a very small amount, rubbed in like lotion. my mom loves to use the baby powder and puts way too much desitin and doesn't rub it in all the way. well, it gets in his circumsition and i'm worried that's not good for it. i keep telling her to be careful not to get it on his penis, but she hasn't been listening. she keeps him while i'm working b/c i cannot afford childcare. so no bashing and telling me not to let her watch him. is it bad for that stuff to get on his penis? when it gets on there i give him a bath and very gently brush it off with a baby washcloth.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The baby powder yes, it will feed any bacteria or yeast present it shouldn't be used at all, the cream I dunno but she needs to be more careful. You need to be adamant about it with her.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• From looking at your profile, the baby was born in Oct. so the circ should be fine and healed if it was done as a newborn. The cream will not hurt him.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Does he have a diaper rash? If not, does he even need the Desitin? Tell her to stop using anything (you can put the Desitin on at night to protect his skin overnight). If she continues and doesn't listen then I wouldn't pack it, and when I see it at her house, sneak it in your bag and take it home. His circumcision should be healed up very shortly anyway, but anyone that's watching your child should respect your wishes.

Answer by missanc at 7:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I hate desitin cream!! its the hardest mess to get off...a light amount of powder should be fine, but honestly i quit using all of it. I wipe my son and let him dry a little and put him on a dry clean diaper. His skin is really sensitive, but if he got a rash i noticed that it cleared up FASTER without using creams and powders. My mom then treated me like i was from a different planet because i dont powder my son (like it was some form of child abuse)!! but he is my child and it works for us!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Yep he doesn't need it. If he has a rash even, the best thing for it is frequent cleansing with WATER and let him go diaper less :) Those products make bottoms worse.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2009