Do you think the USA will ever go over to the metric system &/or Euros?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No I don't.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I hope not..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Why should we?
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 8:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I know some parts of the U.S. tried to convert to the metric system several years ago, but it did not catch on. There is a few signs that are still up from when they tried to do this. For example, there is a sign on I-75 in TN that says Chattanooga- 40 Kilometers or 25 miles. As far as the Euro goes, no, there is no way that right now, the European Union would want us to be a part of the euro. Our dollar is so much weaker than that euro that if we did join, it would bring the euro down. Even if the dollar was stronger, it just would not make much sense at all to do it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Nope, they (China and even the US Treasury Secretary is entertaining the idea) are calling for a "super-sovereign reserve currency". This will be a currency of it's own not yen, euro, dinar etc.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Euro-no. Metrics-they tried that once-evidently, a system based on 10's was too difficult to comprehend and/or teach. I'm perfectly capable of using either system of measurement. Too bad, the majority of countries on the planet use the Metric System-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I also remember, as you do jeremysmom, when they tried to convert to the metric system. It will was a daunting task to try to teach all the "old dogs new tricks". I hope we never switch to the euro crap. Even the Europeans don't want the euros. A few countries didn't convert their currency and are now very glad. We just need to continue to be the United States of America. I'm tired of being told to keep up with the Jones's (or Europe as the case may be).
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The metric system is incredibly easier than what we have and it is the measurement used in science. It would be great if the US switched over to metric (Britain managed it). The dollar is our Euro. The Euro is currency for a group of European states, the dollar is currency for a group of states found in the United States.
    Janiepie

Answer by Janiepie at 9:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The metric system is incredibly easier than what we have and it is the measurement used in science. It would be great if the US switched over to metric ITA, Janie. A building block all based on 10's- How much EASIER could it be?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Are you kidding? People in this country have a hard enough time trying to measure with a basic ruler!
    Kim370

Answer by Kim370 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2009