doing bloodtest at 37 weeks

my SIL in 37 weeks preganant, her baby is reading 9 lbs on an ultrasound, but so far she hasnt had any problems other than more fluids than normal, so she has been having weekly nonstress test which have been fine. today she went to her dr and they sent her to the hospitle for a non stress and blood work. They wont tell her why they are doing the bloodwork. Any ideas?

they sent her home to collect her pee till 2 pm tomorrow, and if she has too much protein they are going to take the baby.

Im really worried . Any thoughts if what is going on would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• im not sure about all the test.... just wanted to say that i had my son delivered at 37 weeks by c-section because of medical reasons and he was healthy except son mild jaundice and low blood sugar for one day. the jaundice went away w/ sunlight.

Hope everything works out great!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• u/s can be off as much as 5 lbs. and as for the bloodwork, they should be telling her what they are doing tests for and on. if i was her and they didn't tell me, then there's no way they would be getting anything from me until everything was explained and laid out on the table.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• A baby over 9 pounds is probably because the mother had gestational diabetes. She was probably tested for it early on and developed it later. Excess fluids and protein in the urine is a sign of toxemia and can have serious results for mother and baby. You can google preeclampsia and find more information. I do not know if toxemia can make a baby weigh 9 pounds but diabetes will. The most important thing is the excess fluids that can cause dangerous high blood pressure and the test for protein is for this. It is a most serious condition for mother and baby and her docs are doing the right thing. The good news is that babys are totally viable at the age of her little one. Good luck, and PM me with an update!!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i would not consent to a blood test without them first telling me what it was testing for and why it might be helpful. that is just nonsense for them to refuse to tell her what it's for...?
    Anonymous