Can you tell if you are carrying twins

Other than an ultrasound? I know it sounds crazy but are there any old tales about it? My husband has them on his side so i was wondering

MrsCrain0409

Asked by MrsCrain0409 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your question sparked my curiosity here LOL So i did a quick search and came across this link. Only person who mentioned twins was "susan" on this forum. She said that supposedly if you drop a key and pick it up in the middle your having twins. (narrow side of the key girl, round side boy) pretty funny huh? LOL

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/pregnancy/owt1.htm
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Only thing I know is you will be biger (as in your belly).

Answer by louise2 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I forgot to add, I have twin boys, now six, and when i was pregnant my morning sickness was ten times worse than my singles were. twins and triplets run on their dad's side and twins run on my moms side of the family(one set).
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i don't know of any old wives tales to tell but I've had a set of twins and I knew something was up almost as soon as i knew i was preg. i know it sounds crazy but I felt like someone had turned on an air conditioner in my uterus. it only lasted about an hour but when i found out it was twins my mom reminded me of how i said something was diff with this pregnancy. im expecting now and wondering if i might have another set in there. I have five boys already and my husband and i wanted to have one more so I know what a singleton preg feels like and there ias something diff about this go round too. I don't really have any answers for signs though except that you grow twice as fast as you should. good luck!
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have 17 month old twins. We found out from the ultrasound. Doctors can also pick up separate heartbeats with a doppler. I had nothing out of the ordinary. I was REALLY tired in the 1st and 3rd trimesters but that was it. And I wasn't showing any sooner or any bigger than the average pregnant woman.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Fraternal twins are the only ones that run in families, not identical, and they run in the mother's side. This is because fraternal twins are formed from 2 eggs and 2 sperm. I man ejaculates millions of spern each time without much varience. So it is then a matter of how many eggs those sperm encounter and furtilize. The tendancy to ovulate more than one egg runs in families, it also increases as a woman ages.

In some women the hormone levels will be much higher, and the symptoms of pregnancy such as morning sickness will be more intence. But the ultrasound is the only true way to tell.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2009