How can I get DD to sleep well?

My two year old DD has a really hard time sleeping. Her dad and I are divorced and he has her every other weekend. When she comes home she won't sleep well for 5 or 6 nights. She will sit up in her bed and talk and sing and scream bloody murder till 4 or 5 in the morning and then she wakes up for the day about 6 or 7 am. She is really cranky on these days and she does the same thing at nap time, just talks or cries. It takes about a week to get her to sleep from 8 pm to 6 am then a week later it's her dad's weekend and the cylce starts all over again. I'm really worried about her and how all this change affects her. I know kids need stability and she doesn't really get that. Is there anyone on here in the same situation, and what do you do? I know her dad keeps her on the same routine as I do, but it doesn't seem to do any good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was going to suggest that maybe he's letting her stay up later because he only gets her every other weekend. But I continued reading your post here so obviously that isn't the case. I know that when my ex and i divorced it was hard on my then 1 yr old son he use to throw so many tantrums. He would kick and scream when he'd get upset, but i never really had any bedtime problems with him. Of course I usually laid in the bed with him til he fell asleep. Maybe try taking her out to the park to run around and tire herself out. I wish I knew what to tell you. I know it's rough.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009