Would buying powdered milk cost less than constantly buying it from the refrigerated section?

~shake shake shake my magic 8Ball~

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Probably, but I remember using powdered milk when I was I kid and I hated it. Now I keep it on hand for cooking (bread, pancakes, biscuits) and just in case. That in itself keeps me from going through the milk so fast, but I only use it for the kids if its 6 am and I forgot about the milk the night before.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Probably. Not buying milk at all, and drinking (free) water is even less expensive.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• i'm sure it is cheaper, you pay more for the convience. I have never cared for the taste of powdered milk, but always tell myself I need to keep some for when I forget to buy some. Oh and I have never drank free water, unless someone else bought it for me. Oh well though someone always has to be a smart@ss
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• It is usually not to expensive here. I think powder milk does not taste good.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It is cheaper. Keep in mind, it's nonfat milk, so unless you normally drink nonfat milk, it's not going to taste very good (and of course, you need to put it in the fridge after you mix it up...)

Now, if you're wanting to save money, you could do like one of the pp's said, and get it to keep on hand for cooking.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• powered millk is expensive and honestly very sweet and tastes horrible when it's rehydrated. We keep some on hand due to living in the Hurricaine Belt and honestly no one will drink it in our house. And who gets free water? I know I pay for water every month at my house it's one of my utilities.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I use powdered milk. I have radial tunnel in both my elbows and can't carry a gallon of milk so have to buy the packets of powdered milk. It's NOT cheap in our town. My dd is mailing me some packets from her state as a belated xmas gift and I'm appreciative! However, I will say that when someone does bring me a gallon of milk I freeze it in quart bags so I don't have to lift the gallon jug. It freezes well so if you can buy a gallon cheap you can freeze a lot of it and have it handy for emergencies.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The only person I know who had free water was someone who had her own well on her property..but, then again she bought the property so I guess, no water is completely free.

I don't think in my area powdered milk is more expensive but, I've only seen it in very large boxes that cost $7-$8. I would imagine it makes a lot of milk but, I've never used it. I've been meaning to get some for some bread recipes I have but, I don't want to get a giant box that'll go to waste.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Powdered milk is nasty. It would be more expensive because you would be throwing it away because it's gross. My grandma used to make us powdered milk and none of us would drink it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• www.hillbillyhousewife.com

I almost always have a jug of it made up for cooking. My daughter loves it because I add a little vanilla extract and warm it up (add a little brown sugar and its like desert!) . I always add the vanilla (a little goes a long way) and keep it in the fridge. We went from using 3 gallons of milk a week to using 1 1/2! Its not super expensive but Im not really sure if its that much cheaper to use it either.

chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010