Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you find a soldiers commanding officer?

My son's father is in the Army and he has not been paying his child support. We has a notarized child support agreement which he personally drafted. I know where he is stationed, but I do not know how exactly to contact his commanding officer. Any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by Tashia07 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • If you know where he's stationed, and you know what his job is, go onto the base's website, find his division's phone number, and call. Try first finding out who is directly above him in his chain of command and talk to that person, and he should be able to get things rolling.

    You can also call the Family Service Center on his base (also in the base directory) and have THEM (they're civilian run) contact his CO about this.

    Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

  • I would suggest contacting the Legal Office where he's stationed. The military has to make sure that their members pay court ordered child support / spousal support. I believe it's Army Reg 608-99, but of course the JAG / Legal Office will know the exact regs. However, if it's not a court ordered one (I don't know if one that's simply notarized will "count" as far as what they enforce), then you might not be able to get it enforced as easily.

    Your best bet, if, after you contact the Legal Office, would be to get a lawyer and file a suit against him for child support. Then, if he still doesn't pay, they will basically garnish his wages.

    When you speak to the Legal Office at his base, you need to tell them the following things -


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

  • cont

    When you talk to the Base Legal Office, it would be best if you have as much of the following info as possible -

    1) His name, his rank (or whatever it was when you last had contact with him, but if it's been awhile, then tell them "He was a ___ (insert rank) ___ months ago..) His ssn if you have it.

    2) His unit, if you know it (he could have been re-assigned), plus, there can be a lot of different commands at one base.

    3) You need to let them know you have a notarized agreement from him for child support that he is not paying.

    4) Let them know you are bringing this to their attention so that his Chain of Command can address it, because you would rather not take it to court.

    5) Be prepared to take it to court if they say that the notarized statement isn't enough. Also, again, depending on how long ago you were in contact, he could have transferred. If so, you're gonna need a lawyer.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

  • Why isn't the money being pulled from his check every 2 weeks? It should be automatic.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

  • Because Anonymous I was nieve and trusted he would keep up his end of the bargin!!!! Well you live and learn! Sailorswifenmom thank you very much and kittyhasclaws for the suggestions.... I'm going to try and locate his commanding officer, today!

    Answer by Tashia07 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.