If a dog bites your child can you have it put to sleep?

My husband's grandma has this tiny little poodle dog that is really mean. He is so mean that Grandma and Grandpa can't sleep in the same bed because Grandpa will get bitten if they try. You can't give Granma a hug with the dog on her lap or it will bite your face. The dog will growl at my son for just walking by grandma when the dog is on her lap. And she thinks its cute and funny! She acts like the dog is a child or something. She gave out calendars full of pictures of that stupid little dog for Christmas. Grandma is coming to my house for my birthday tomorrow and I am going to have to tell her the dog stays in the car. I won't have my son threatened for playing with his toys in is own home. Please nobody bash and tell me to watch my son. We do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• the dog can be put down for bitting, but i think it takes more then once or a significant bite. I would just tell her that if she wants to come visit the dog isn't allowed in house and if she wants YOU to come visit the dog must be locked up in a room away from your family.

If she doesn't agree to these rules then don't have her visit or vice versa....it may seem unfair to some but dog bites can be serious.

PS. growing up we took in a sharpia/pitbull that started acting this way(defensive of my sister) who was his owner...it bite my brother and then snapped at a neigborhood kid that was over....we found another home for the dog, disclosing its nature of course.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• If a dog bites your child does the dog have to be put down? NO> however depending on your state regulations it could be different where you live. Just ask Grandma not to bring the dog to your house because you feel it would be inhumane to have to have her leave it in the car. (if it is cold)
    Personally I wouldn't want that dog around my kid. I have teenagers and one of them got bit in the face by a dog at the age of 9. So I prefer crazy animals out of my house. I have my own dogs to contend with .I don't want the crazy dog biting my dog either. Good luck let us know how it works out.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I agree with you. Dogs that cannot be trusted should never be around children. If it comes down to it ask her why she doesn't value your child as much as her mutt.
    Anonymous

• My dog does the same thing to my DH. But my dog sleeps in a cage at night. So he(my dog) does not know we (me and my DH) sleep in the same bed. Most small dogs are very protective. My DH calls my dog my boyfriend.

Answer by louise2 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You have every right to tell her to keep the mutt to herself, especially since having the dog properly trained is not important to her. You also have the right to keep your child away from her home unless the dog is restrained. And I know there are plenty of people who have their "fur babies" and I get that...they are members of the family...but when it gets to a point where the safety of children (or adults) is a concern, it's time to consider a muzzle, leash, tie, or crate for when people come over. As for having it put down, if you are really wondering about that...I don't think that would be an option since you went to her house knowing there was a sometimes aggressive dog there. If it happened at your house or in a public location, then possibly...or she'd at least have to cover your medical bills...but otherwise, it's best to just stay away.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I am cracking up and it is not funny. It is the year 2009 and you are saying NO to the dog. I am older, 50 years old, and my great grandma would come to visit and always bring this damn little dog named I swear BUSTER. BUSTER bit every single grandchild. My cousins and I talk about WHY our parents put up with the dog. Remember I am 50 and it was out of respect. I am an older mom with a 7 and 5 year old. I can promise you BUSTER would NOT EVER come to my house. It isn't funny and we are talking about it 47 years later. Stick to your guns mama and don't let that dog in your house!!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I'm not going to bash you. Dogs can be very unpredictable. I have the scars to show from it from when my dad's dog suddenly (very randomly without provocation or any warning whatsoever- he'd just nuzzled under my arm to get pet) went for my face. Mind you, this was a LARGE dog. The next day my dad had the dog tested for rabies, then put down. He wasn't going to deal with that, especially since I now had a gash under my eye, a gash along side my head and several punctures on the back of my head.

Now, he didn't HAVE to put the dog down. Unless the dog is a repeat offender and it has been reported to the authorities, the dog does not have to be euthenized.

HOWEVER, you do need to lay the law down with Granny. Tell her flat out that you do not want that dog near your son because you are fearing for his safety. That dog shows aggressive tendencies, and you do not want you child bitten. Cont....
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You can file charges for this. And a court can force grandma to put the dog to sleep.

But I wouldn't go that far yet. I would tell grandma that the dog MUST STAY HOME. Tell grandma NO DOG. Period. If it means she misses your birthday, so be it. But DO NOT let her in the house if the dog is with her. NO EXCEPTIONS. Put your foot down here.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• When kids are around my house I usually put him in his cage. so he won't bite anyone.

Answer by louise2 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• The size of the dog does not matter because those jaws still pack a lot of power. Tell grandma that the dog stays home, or you cannot welcome her into your home because your child's safety comes before a dog.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2009