What discipline technique do I use for a 14 month old who loves to stand and run on the couch? Stern No, swat to leg, and re-direction have failed so far. She thinks it is a game.

rylo

Asked by rylo at 10:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• constant and consistent redirection is your best bet....everything else willfail miserably IMO
    TheTaoOfKim

Answer by TheTaoOfKim at 10:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Of course she thinks it is a game. Someone that young only knows how to eat, sleep, pee, poop and play. I used to get in the floor so my children could run and play and not be on the furniture. Put her on the floor if you don't want to get there. You have to teach her what you want her to do, not punish her for being a 14 month old who knows no better.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Our 2 1/2 year-old has been doing this for a long time... We just move the coffee table and any other dangerous furniture out of the way so she can have fun. We don't see it as a big concern. Otherwise, we do timeouts when she is breaking the rules.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My 16 month old LOVES to do that. Luckily so far she keeps her balance. When she is this young, I just lay the cushions on the floor so she has a soft landing IF she does get too excited. IF you don't want her to do that, then you just have to cosntantly redirect her. And at 14 months, she may not get it for a while. If you don't mind that she's doing that right now, just make it safe for her. Im sure I'll get bashed for saying that, but why fight a losing battle? She's too young to know better. I think they are super excited that they can finally get up there on their own. Mine loves to sit in the corner of our sectional and read books. As long as they know how to get up, you just have to make sure they can safely get off.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• My 16 month loves to do this as well. I don't understand, what is the big deal? I really hope it's not something stupid like "I don't want them to get hurt if they fall off ". Toddlers are very resilient, a little fall off the couch is no big deal. My son constantly has bruises all over him from falling and running into things, does not bother him. He rarely cries, just gets back up and starts playing again!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I don't understand the big deal. My son loved doing this, we just moved the coffee table out of the way and let him have fun. Yes, he fell but he got up and kept on going. Let her be a kid while she still can. Pretty soon, you will be "complaining" that she grew up too fast and you don't know where the time went.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Just be consistent. Babies don't form permanent memories until after they turn 2.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2009