is it better to drink and breastfeed or formula feed?

I am having a drink after every nursing. Would it be safer to just FF?

bash and i delete

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would rather be sober when caring for my baby, regardless of whether I nursed or ff.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• This post should be deleted anyway, just for the pure stupidity of it!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• If you feel intoxicated its definetly not ok. It takes your liver one hour to process one drink. If you nurse the baby then have a glass of wine and then nurse again an hour later your fine.
    Anonymous

• like... an alcoholic drink after every nursing? i'm not bashing but how many times a day are you doing that? and how ofen are you nursing? 1 drink gets out of your system in an hour so if its every 2 hours youre nursing- it shouldnt be a HUGE deal. alcohol does get into the breastmilk but in a very small amount, but also remember it may be a small amount, but babys are small too.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing wrong with having a drink after nursing. As long as you wait four hours before nursing again. :)
    Anonymous

• ...also want to add that one glass of wine is 4 oz.
    Anonymous

• 2 hrs
    Anonymous

• Maybe you should stop drinking so much. I mean I know that sounds like an obvious option but honestly if you're having a drink after everytime you feed the baby that's a lot of drinking in one day and you should probably get yourself some sort of help. I'm really not trying to bash I am honestly just trying to say that it's unhealthy not only for you but if you're having to much at one time it's also unhealthy for your baby to drink that often. Good luck, talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• Many experts recommend against drinking more than 1-2 drinks per week.
    It is recommended that nursing moms avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking (Hale 2002).
    Daily consumption of alcohol has been shown in the research to increase the risk for slow weight gain in the infant.
    Daily consumption of alcohol (1+ drinks daily) has been associated with a decrease in gross motor development (Little et al 1989).

guess you should think about switching to formula if you want to drink that much...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• why would you drink after every time u nurse anyway? to me it seems like you have a drinking problem. as a nursing mother that is very pro breastmilk i would tell you to give up breastfeeding and go to formula but at the sametime get help for your drinking. bc if you are having more then one drink and not giving it time to get out of your system (or pumping and dumping) then u are putting your childs safety into harm. it only takes a lil bit and you could very much kill your child. or u mb a lil drunker then what u think and go to nurse baby and fall asleep and possibly smoother your child or drop them etc. you can talk to your doctor about getting help. also there was a bfing mother arrested bc she was drinking and breastfeed her baby. so just realize that this could happen also
    Anonymous