I need suggestions. She is 8 months old now and I have hit this super depressed stage for some reason... I went to the doctor and he not only told me I need to be on depression medicine, but my ferritin level (iron) was 6 and I may need an iron dexatran iv infusion... both of these things are not good for the baby.. I need help.. I feel so bad about weaning her and so bad physically, mentally and everywhere else I am at loss of what to do.... I dont remember how I weaned my first child.. please help!!!!

Asked by vwhite at 10:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• some doctors don't know about breastfeeding and other alternative meds. check out and they have a TON of information about what you can take while breastfeeding. Also look into for information. They even have contact information of LLL leaders near you that could be very helpful. You may also get some tips if you have no other choice but to wean.

Answer by Precious333 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• are you taking prenatal vits still?? if not you may want to you can get them OTC... ok find a LLL meeting in your area and go... next how is your H&H ... if your red cells are doing well and the H&H are ok I wouldnt worry about iron levels... lastly consider getting a new Dr-- and see a nutritionist---
    oh and one more thing look up IV iron.. VERY VERY VERY dangerous stuff--

Answer by MELRN at 10:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• There's a breastfeeding group that can give you more specific answers.

Answer by MonicaE521 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You can start just nursing her at night and then gradually phase that out too...if you don't want to then you need to go to the LLL and get some help there. You need to do what's best for the baby AND you. :) good luck *hugs*

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Drop one feeding per week till gone. All there is to it.

HOWEVER...nothing you posted that you need to take is unsafe. Zoloft is the preferred antidepressant while nursing but you can take others. And the IV infusion isn't a problem.

So you don't HAVE to wean...if you WANT to that's another matter...and a feeding a week till gone will cover you.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Eat iron rich foods with a vitamin C source; the C increases the absorbtion of the iron. Here is a great listing of iron rich foods:

Your doctor should have referred you to a therapist; taking antidepressants without therapy is like taking painkillers for a broken leg with getting a cast.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2009