How to get a 16month child to stop whining all day?!

My daughter has always been a very quite girl and very independent. Even as an infant she never really cried unless she was not feeling well and even then it was more like a whimper.

For the last month its like someone flipped a switch. She runs to the door when I try to leave for work, she clings to my legs all day wailing like someone punted her?! She wants to be held all day long and even when I hold her she just whimpers quieter.

I dont pick her up every time I try to talk to her and comfort her, but the second I rise back up the screaming starts again. She is doing the same with her Daddy.

We are at a loss, and our nerves are dangling. I am 7 months preggo and some say thats why she has started being so possessive and clingy to us, that I can understand but the constant crying and high pitched wailing at our legs........ what can we do!

Lillian120308

Asked by Lillian120308 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im reading this question as if it is me asking it about my own 16 month old daughter! :) and I am not pregnant but that switch did go off about 2 weeks ago. she is mastering the tantrum thing and even kicks and smacks when I try to put her down to sleep. anyway, I just scream back at her to break her train of thought. Not like a loud yell but a little high pitch scream just like she does. (Dr. Phil suggested that by the way) and then run across the room and get her attention on something else. If you give either positive or negative attention, she will keep it up. As long as she's getting attention. Im sure it's so difficult being 7 months pregnant!! Oh my goodness :) I couldn't do it but hopefully it will pass (with mine too) and maybe just let her outside to run around. Mine LOVES to be outside. We just bundle her up and she will literally do laps. I think a lot of it at this age is frustration.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Read books by John Rosemond. His advice on children is wonderful!!! He has a website. Look him up right away. I already have four of his books and I love them. Good Luck!!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 12:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2009