Why can't schools spank like they used to?

Weren't we all better off back then... when we were actually afraid of our actions, because there were actually CONSEQUENCES to them? If more parents manned up to discipline their own children, this wouldn't be needed. But, most parents don't give a crap. So, why can't they resort back to spanking? It was a much better world back then... admit it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Too many lawsuits, unfortunately. I did work at a (private) school that spanked, but it took 46, yes 46 office referrals for one little shit to get a swat. He was already in the high 30's by the time I came to teach, having run off the first teacher earlier that year. He bragged about how he could do whatever he wanted because he didn't think they'd actually enforce the policy. Then, his dad threatened to kick my ass (even though I did not do the swat) and my principal said he would not defend me. Let's just say, homework and tests go a lot easier after that, for everyone! Pieces of shit. I'm still mad and it's been like 8 years since I left that joke of a school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:49 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Because I actually discipline my kids. And if MY kid were to be spanked in school because the school assumed I didn't discipline, I'd either press charges of child abuse/assult and battery, or I'd kick the ass of the schmuck that took it upon themselves to spank my child. Especially since we don't really spank, it doesn't work anyway.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Some schools do, with parent permission...
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 11:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Even when I was in school "spanking" wasn't allowed and I am 46 now... now my dh it was allowed bc he was in a private Catholic school and you sign a waiver for such punishment when you attended...
    Spanking is a form of abuse... why? bc unless it's the parent (within it's reasons too) the person doing the spanking can and most often over steps what is or what is NOT proper spanking and can and have caused physical harm to the child...
    Now is THAT what YOU want to be done to YOUR child?????
    If my child needs to be disaplined (sp) then I will be the one doing it... NOT some person in a school or else where....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Because it is illegal.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Do you not realize that teen pregnancy, drugs, underage drinking, vandalism, gangs ... The list goes on ... has existed since the dawn of time? That none of this is new and spanking didn't stop any of it from happening. There were still problem children in schools even after they had been spanked over and over. Don't sit there and tell me you actually believe that children and life was perfect when children were spanked. There were teen runaways, back talking, sibling rilvery .. again the list goes on. Do you honestly think you need to hit a child for them to obey and behave? I have never hit my child a day in his life and he is very well behaved. I rarely have to even raise my voice and he listens to me. He knows very well what he is allowed and not allowed to do, and there was no spanking needed. Abusing a child, yes spanking is abuse, is not going to teach them anything but fear and violence.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If anyone EVER hit my child I would lay into them. There is no justified reason for anyone to abuse a child, especially a teacher who has no business ever laying a hand on my child. If your children don't behave that is on YOU. It is not the responsibility of anybody else to diciplin your child. It is very cowardly of you to try and put the diciplin of your child onto the teachers and priciples of your child's school. It is the PARENT'S job to diciplin their child, not the teachers, neighbors, friends, relatives, nobody but the PARENT. It is wrong, absolutely wrong to hit a child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Well...probably because of parents like me. If someone EVER hit my child...well...let's just say they would find out just how small the world really is because there would be no place they could hide. If someone is going to discipline my child, it will be me, and only me. I remember being spanked in school as a child and I also know that the administrators sometimes took it way too far and it ended up being extremely abusive.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 12:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If ANYONE at my kid's school put so much as a finger on my child, let alone spanked them, they'd find themselves in court for assault and i'd squeeze every penny out of them, or they'd be looking for a job. It's my job to discipline my kids, not anyone else's.
    Pandapanda

Answer by Pandapanda at 1:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Oh, and the parents who are saying that nobody better smack their kids. I'm with you on that, but when we are disciplining at home, then our kids would never make it to the swatting level of discipline at school, so no worries.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2009