How do I stop swaddling my 51/2 month old twins? They love it and sleep really well when swaddled

Weening my babies off swaddling and pacifier

Asked by olivia125 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why do you want to stop if they love it? Sorry answered with a question..I'd say just stop.

• There is no proper time of stopping swaddling, if they love it, why stop.?

But the easiest way is to take baby steps. Leave 1 arm out of the swaddle first for a while, then 2nd arm. My son was swaddled untill about 6 1/2 months when he mastered crawling, after slowly reducing swaddling, he started sleeping on his belly, with his butt in the air, it was too cute!

Answer by newmommyy322 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• If they like it and it's not hurting them, then I don't see why you'd stop. When they get tired of it, they'll let you know (especially as they get more mobile). About getting them off the pacifier, I have no idea.

Answer by bluiidmommy at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I wouldn't wean them off of either of those things yet. They will eventually kick their way out of the swaddling & you just won't have to do it anymore, especially as the weather gets warmer. As for the pacifier, I'd wait on that too... it's very soothing for younger infants & you could end up with really fussy kids on your hands. Wait until they're about a year old, and if they're still using pacis, then cut a small hole in the tips of the pacifiers... the "weird" feeling in their mouth may make them stop using them on their own.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I stopped swaddling my daughter when she got out of the swaddle. As far as pacifiers, she only used them to chew on when she was teething, she's a thumb sucker. I heard to cut the pacifier a little bit at a time and they will eventually not want it. Be prepared for crying.

Answer by babygoose78 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My advice is that i wouldnt stop as long as they seem happy with it. My son is 3 months old and he still loves to be swaddled. I just wrap his upper body tightly in a blanket and leave his feet hanging out. It works for me.

Answer by pjones1984 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My advice on the pacifier is that when they reach a sertain age they will start throwing the paci out of the bed. With my daughter i made a big showing of looking for the paci even though i could see where it was and then i stood up and told her that she lost it. That was the end of the paci.

Answer by pjones1984 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• they'll let you know when they don't want to anymore.

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008