Have you ever made a ginger bread building that looked like the one on the box?

I'm cheap so I waited til after Christmas to buy a ginger bread train. I thought it'd be something cute and fun for DD to help build but it looks terrible. LOL. I did as much as I could but it just looks gooey and kept falling apart. I remember a few from when I was young and they sucked too. Does anyone's ginger stuff come out pretty?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, the prefab ones from Costco because the icing is like glue.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I had an art class as a kid where we made the structure out of card board then decorated them with real icing and candy. We polyurethane-coated them. Not as fun as eating, but def a cool work of art. Plus, you can munch while decorating. It lasted 4 or 5 seasons before the coating wore off and mice discovered it in the attic.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I tried to make it look like the one on the box but it didn't work so I did my own thing and my hubby told me I did a great job
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• the ones we get from walmart never look like what they do on the bx. but it's all about the fun of it really.
    sassytasha

Answer by sassytasha at 12:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have to buy the Betty Crocker icing in the tube because the icing that comes in the gingerbread kit is crap. We've made a few really cute ones (including the train) over the years, but this year's gingerbread village was kind of a bust. Oh well, we'll try again next year. They never look like the box, but we decorate, um, uniquely, you could say.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i make the icing with butter and chocolate, use it while its cooling so it hardens while you hold it together works everytime
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 3:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009