Why do mothers let their infants sleep with them and then complain that they never get any sleep when their children are toddlers?

It irks me! I see this question on here sooooooo often. It is so simple to avoid, have your infant sleep in their own crib from day one no matter what!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes doing the right thing isn't easy.
    It irks me when a mother can be so cold to her infant and just leave her in a crib to scream and cry alone.
    Anonymous

• If that was a dig on me well, my son never screamed and cried himself to sleep and still does not. He loves his crib, it is his space. Even if they are screaming and crying, you should not just grab them and put them in bed with you right away! You make sure their diaper is clean and they are not hungry and lay them back in the crib, if they continue to scream and cry for more than 15 minutes than something is medically wrong!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• To each parent their own. Chalk up the co-sleeping transition questions to inexperience or a mother who realizes that her child is having trouble sleeping and wants tips on what to do to break the cycle, but don't read the questions if they bug you. Simple as that.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Well sometimes things aren't that cut and dry. Sometimes new parents put their child in their crib from day one and everything goes well until their child is about 20 months or so and then the toddler keeps getting sick and is put in the parental bed. Sometimes people try to do the right thing and it doesn't work out, that is why moms have this site to ask and reach out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• This is not a question. This is a drama starter. Truthteller is just here to start a fight and she knows it.
    If it really bothers you than don't read it. Simple as that. Go on with your own life and don't worry about the rest.
    Different styles of parenting bring different problems. When your son is not emotionally connected with you bc you choose CIO I am sure a lot of co sleeping moms will roll their eyes at your questions and think you are inexperienced and caused your own grief.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

I agree. Being lovng and caring for your child is not easy. Those are the moms who put in the extra mile and don't choose the easy way out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• why would you say that the right thing is putting them in a crib? Maybe for some moms the right thing is having the baby with them. I have four kids and for me to get any sleep at all I coslept with my daughter because i was breastfeeding and it was easiest for me to get any sleep like that. I am not a mom of one who can sleep whent he baby sleeps, its not so easy when you have more than one.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Seeing that you don't think children deserve respect it makes perfect sense that you don't think children deserve to be loved and held by their mom at night either.
    I really hope that you are just a troll and not a real mom. Your outlook on kids makes me sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• wow! really, it's ALWAYS that simple? I wanna live in truthtellerland
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• yeah i totally agree with everyone else. Every baby is different, some want to sleep in bed with their parents and some have no problems sleeping in their own crib. I have 4 children and 3 outta 4 of them slept in bed with me and one of them didn't. And you said you would let your child scream and cry for 15 mins? That is horrible. How could you do that? I would do a min or so. But 5 mins is almost pushing it. Just bc they wont stop crying doesn't mean something medical is wrong with them. They just feel insecure and want to be held. Stop trying to start an argument. Because so far...you lose
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009